Quantcast

Adding Additional Degrees of Freedom at the End Effector

Adding Additional Degrees of Freedom at the End Effector

rvijay
Hi everyone, I am using Openrave for a 6 DOF arm and its working fine with the Transform6D. Now, I am adding an end effector with additional 5 DOF, while doing that I have series of questions, because I can use Openrave planner for the 6 DOF arm and control the end effector using commands separately using my Motion Controller Module, but I want to visualize the end effector movements also. Questions - 1. How to have separate motions for these end effector joints? 2. How to represent linear joints (ball screw mechanisms)? 3. Is there any such implementation, which I can refer to ? 4. Is there any specific Ik solver for 6 DOF plus 5 DOF ~ 11 DOF arm with end effector? --/R. Vijay

Re: Adding Additional Degrees of Freedom at the End Effector

Dear Ritukar,

I think getting a 11DOF IK solver is going to be very difficult. i recommend separating into 6DOF IK solver, and then 5DOF IK solver. Each manipulator in openrave has its own base link and end effector link, and you can have a manipulator after another manipulator.

You can create "prismatic" joint types. Look at the JointType enum.

When planning for the entire 11DOF for points going from A to B, just set the active DOF of the robot to all joints.

sincerely,

Hi everyone, I am using Openrave for a 6 DOF arm and its working fine with the Transform6D. Now, I am adding an end effector with additional 5 DOF, while doing that I have series of questions, because I can use Openrave planner for the 6 DOF arm and control the end effector using commands separately using my Motion Controller Module, but I want to visualize the end effector movements also. Questions - 1. How to have separate motions for these end effector joints? 2. How to represent linear joints (ball screw mechanisms)? 3. Is there any such implementation, which I can refer to ? 4. Is there any specific Ik solver for 6 DOF plus 5 DOF ~ 11 DOF arm with end effector? --/R. Vijay

Re: Adding Additional Degrees of Freedom at the End Effector

rvijay
Thanks Rosen,

I think I will break the functionality of the complete arm into two - 6 DOF robotic arm and 5 DOF end effector and try it out.

One quick question Rosen-
>>How should I control my end effector in Cartesian mode?

Thanks,
Ritukar

Re: Adding Additional Degrees of Freedom at the End Effector

unfortunately, there is no cartesion control module in openrave. you'll have to create your own given the IK functionality.

good luck!

Thanks Rosen,

I think I will break the functionality of the complete arm into two - 6 DOF
robotic arm and 5 DOF end effector and try it out.

One quick question Rosen-
>>How should I control my end effector in Cartesian mode?

Thanks,
Ritukar

Re: Adding Additional Degrees of Freedom at the End Effector

rvijay
This post was updated on .
Thanks Rosen!

Thanks for the response!
I have separated the two and implemented a different implementation for cartesian mode and it is working perfect :) and it is suits the application, so the task for setting up autonomous control for the end effector is due.