Attempting to render trimesh in OpenRAVE

Attempting to render trimesh in OpenRAVE

cniessl
Hi,

I'm currently trying to use  drawtrimesh to do visualization of safety
and danger zones in a robot environment with OpenRAVE. However, when I
run a simple test plug-in to render a single triangle, it doesn't
display anything. Specifically I do the following in the main function
of the plugin:

OpenRAVE::EnvironmentBase::GraphHandlePtr exampleHandle_;
std::vector<RaveVector<float> > vpoints;

(Initilization of points...)

exampleHandle_ = GetEnv()->drawtrimesh(vpoints[0],sizeof(vpoints[0]),
NULL, 1, color);

return 0;

Please let me know if there's something I'm missing in order to render
successfully.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Niessl
Carnegie Mellon University

Re: Attempting to render trimesh in OpenRAVE

hi chris,

can you try:

exampleHandle_ = GetEnv()->drawtrimesh(&vpoints[0],sizeof(vpoints[0]),
NULL, 1, color);

also, make sure

color.w = 1

since it represents the alpha value of the trimesh

rosen,

2010/9/3 chris niessl <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently trying to use  drawtrimesh to do visualization of safety
> and danger zones in a robot environment with OpenRAVE. However, when I
> run a simple test plug-in to render a single triangle, it doesn't
> display anything. Specifically I do the following in the main function
> of the plugin:
>
> OpenRAVE::EnvironmentBase::GraphHandlePtr exampleHandle_;
> std::vector<RaveVector<float> > vpoints;
>
> (Initilization of points...)
>
> exampleHandle_ = GetEnv()->drawtrimesh(vpoints[0],sizeof(vpoints[0]),
> NULL, 1, color);
>
> return 0;
>
> Please let me know if there's something I'm missing in order to render
> successfully.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>

> --
> Chris Niessl
> Carnegie Mellon University
> Robotics Institute Staff
> BAE-IAMO Development Group

Re: Attempting to render trimesh in OpenRAVE

you are right, the first parameter should be find as vpoints[0]

have you made sure _exampleHandle is a private member of your class
that remains valid after the function returns? As soon as the handle
is destroyed, the graphs disappear.

can you also try giving an indices array of [0,1,2]?

rosen,

2010/9/3 chris niessl <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Rosen,
>
> Trying to get the address of vpoints causes an error. Specifically:
>
> error: no matching function for call to
> 'OpenRAVE::EnvironmentBase::drawtrimesh(OpenRAVE::RaveVector<float>*,
> long unsigned int, NULL, int, OpenRAVE::RaveVector<float>&)'
> /usr/local/openrave/include/rave/rave.h:956: note: candidates are:
> virtual boost::shared_ptr<void>
> OpenRAVE::EnvironmentBase::drawtrimesh(const float*, int, const int*,
> int, const OpenRAVE::RaveVector<float>&)
> /usr/local/openrave/include/rave/rave.h:957: note:
> virtual boost::shared_ptr<void>
> OpenRAVE::EnvironmentBase::drawtrimesh(const float*, int, const int*,
> int, const boost::multi_array<float, 2ul, std::allocator<float> >&)
>
> I also set the color.w value to 1 to make it opaque, but still no rendering.
>
> -Chris
>
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Rosen Diankov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> hi chris,
>>
>> can you try:
>>
>> exampleHandle_ = GetEnv()->drawtrimesh(&vpoints[0],sizeof(vpoints[0]),
>> NULL, 1, color);
>>
>> also, make sure
>>
>> color.w = 1
>>
>> since it represents the alpha value of the trimesh
>>
>> rosen,
>>
>> 2010/9/3 chris niessl <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm currently trying to use  drawtrimesh to do visualization of safety
>>> and danger zones in a robot environment with OpenRAVE. However, when I
>>> run a simple test plug-in to render a single triangle, it doesn't
>>> display anything. Specifically I do the following in the main function
>>> of the plugin:
>>>
>>> OpenRAVE::EnvironmentBase::GraphHandlePtr exampleHandle_;
>>> std::vector<RaveVector<float> > vpoints;
>>>
>>> (Initilization of points...)
>>>
>>> exampleHandle_ = GetEnv()->drawtrimesh(vpoints[0],sizeof(vpoints[0]),
>>> NULL, 1, color);
>>>
>>> return 0;
>>>
>>> Please let me know if there's something I'm missing in order to render
>>> successfully.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Chris
>>>

>>> --
>>> Chris Niessl
>>> Carnegie Mellon University
>>> Robotics Institute Staff
>>> BAE-IAMO Development Group

> Chris Niessl
> Carnegie Mellon University
> Robotics Institute Staff
> BAE-IAMO Development Group

Re: Attempting to render trimesh in OpenRAVE

hi chris,

You can use EnvironmentBase::GetBodies and GetRobots to get the shared pointers.

rosen,

2010/9/9 chris niessl <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>>
>> openrave -loadplugin `pwd`/libplugincpp.so  -problem MyProblem
>>
>> You should try your original drawing code, because nothing was getting
>> executed anyway...
>>
>> rosen,
>>
>> 2010/9/3 chris niessl <[hidden email]>:
>>> This is the class that I have defined:
>>>
>>> class MyProblemInstance : public ProblemInstance
>>> {
>>> public:
>>>    MyProblemInstance(EnvironmentBasePtr penv) : ProblemInstance(penv)
>>>    {
>>>         __description = "A very simple plugin.";
>>>    }
>>>
>>>    void Destroy() {
>>>        RAVELOG_INFOA("problem unloaded from environment\n");
>>>    }
>>>
>>>    void drawTriangle()
>>>    {
>>>        std::vector<RaveVector<float> > vpoints;
>>>         std::vector<int> vin;
>>>
>>>        RaveVector<float> pt0;
>>>        RaveVector<float> pt1;
>>>        RaveVector<float> pt2;
>>>
>>>         vin[0] = 0;
>>>         vin[1] = 1;
>>>         vin[2] = 2;
>>>
>>>         pt0[0] = 0.0;
>>>         pt0[1] = 0.0;
>>>         pt0[2] = 0.0;
>>>
>>>         pt1[0] = 5.0;
>>>         pt1[1] = 5.0;
>>>         pt1[2] = 0.0;
>>>
>>>         pt2[0] = 5.0;
>>>         pt2[1] = 5.0;
>>>         pt2[2] = 5.0;
>>>
>>>         color[0] = 1.0;
>>>         color[1] = 0.0;
>>>         color[2] = 0.0;
>>>         color[3] = 1.0;
>>>         color.w = 1;
>>>
>>>         vpoints.push_back(pt0);
>>>         vpoints.push_back(pt1);
>>>         vpoints.push_back(pt2);
>>>
>>>                     exampleHandle_ =
>>> GetEnv()->drawtrimesh(vpoints[0],sizeof(vpoints[0]), &vin[0], 1,
>>> color);
>>>    }
>>>
>>>    int main(const string& cmd)
>>>    {
>>>        drawTriangle();
>>>        RAVELOG_INFOA("problem initialized cmd; %s\n", cmd.c_str());
>>>
>>>        return 0;
>>>    }
>>>
>>> private:
>>>    OpenRAVE::EnvironmentBase::GraphHandlePtr exampleHandle_;
>>>    OpenRAVE::RaveVector<float> color;
>>>
>>> };
>>>
>>> Which I then load into the environment by calling openrave -loadplugin
>>> ./testPlugin/testPlugin.so. I also have the RAVE_PLUGIN_API functions
>>> included in the cpp file with the class.

>>> --
>>> Chris Niessl
>>> Carnegie Mellon University
>>> Robotics Institute Staff
>>> BAE-IAMO Development Group
>>>

> --
> Chris Niessl
> Carnegie Mellon University
> Robotics Institute Staff
> BAE-IAMO Development Group

Re: Attempting to render trimesh in OpenRAVE

Every Link has a collision mesh, which you can query with Link::GetCollisionData

http://openrave.programmingvision.com/ordocs/en/html/classOpenRAVE_1_1KinBody_1_1Link.html#a885f936420c1a0b8fe5b4ba86cabc867

OpenRAVE also supports triangulation of the entire scene using
Environment::Triangulate and TriangulateScene

http://openrave.programmingvision.com/ordocs/en/html/classOpenRAVE_1_1EnvironmentBase.html#a072bfa39a9fa2b2d384e0525427ebf96

rosen,