Quantcast

COLLADA exporter

Praveen

Dear All,

I am trying to find a tool to create mobile robots.As an option that could be used is blender however the version which I use exports Collada in 1.4.1 version.

As suggested, I changed the second line to the following

<COLLADA xmlns="http://www.collada.org/2008/03/COLLADASchema" version="1.5.0">

however certain scenes display as error stating "possible schema violation"

1. Is it possible for me to know a tool to get started with to model a robot which we use and can be used in openrave ?

2. Is it possible for me know on how to get started with physics engine getting incorporated to collada and how to use it in openrave. Intention is to use Bullet physics engine libraries through PAL.

Sorry to bug you.

Thank you in advance

Best Regards
Praveen

Re: COLLADA exporter

Hi Praveen,

these are excellent questions.

> 1. Is it possible for me to know a tool to get started with to model a robot
> which we use and can be used in openrave ?

what type of scenes are you exporting to collada?
if you are doing robots, then you might be able to use OpenGrasp,
which is a Robot Editor extension for Blender that writes COLLADA 1.5
files compatible with OpenRAVE. We say 'might' because it looks like
support for newer blender versions is not added yet.

http://opengrasp.sourceforge.net/robotEditor.html#roboteditor

> 2. Is it possible for me know on how to get started with physics engine
> getting incorporated to collada and how to use it in openrave. Intention is
> to use Bullet physics engine libraries through PAL.

openrave 0.4.2 adds ability to read the physics mass and inertia
parameters from rigid links. thanks to Max Argus and Nick Hillier, we
recently added a bullet physics engine plugin to openrave. Note that
the openrave debian packages do not have the bullet plugin since there
are no standard bullet packages (yet). If you have bullet installed
while compiling openrave, the plugin should compile.

there was a team a while back that developed a PAL plugin for
openrave, but they found that the PAL interface does not expose enough
functionality needed, so they gave up on it.

hope this helps,
rosen,

2011/8/11 Praveen <[hidden email]>:

> Dear All,
>
> I am trying to find a tool to create mobile robots.As an option that could
> be used is blender however the version which I use exports Collada in 1.4.1
> version.
>
> As suggested, I changed the second line to the following
>
> <COLLADA xmlns="http://www.collada.org/2008/03/COLLADASchema"
> version="1.5.0">
>
> however certain scenes display as error stating "possible schema violation"
>
> 1. Is it possible for me to know a tool to get started with to model a robot
> which we use and can be used in openrave ?
>
> 2. Is it possible for me know on how to get started with physics engine
> getting incorporated to collada and how to use it in openrave. Intention is
> to use Bullet physics engine libraries through PAL.
>
> Sorry to bug you.
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Best Regards
> Praveen

Re: COLLADA exporter

Stefan Ulbrich

Am 12.08.2011 um 02:27 schrieb Rosen Diankov:

Hi Praveen,

these are excellent questions.

1. Is it possible for me to know a tool to get started with to model a robot
which we use and can be used in openrave ?

what type of scenes are you exporting to collada?
if you are doing robots, then you might be able to use OpenGrasp,
which is a Robot Editor extension for Blender that writes COLLADA 1.5
files compatible with OpenRAVE. We say 'might' because it looks like
support for newer blender versions is not added yet.

http://opengrasp.sourceforge.net/robotEditor.html#roboteditor

The robot editor requires blender 2.49 at the moment and there is some probability that you will
encounter some glitches in the current version (make sure to download the newest version from svn).
However, we started a complete rewrite based on the newest blender version this month which hopefully
will be usable in a couple of weeks.

Best regards
Stefan

--

Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
Institute for Anthropomatics - IAIM

Stefan Ulbrich
Research Scientist

Adenauerring 2  (Building 50.20, R323)
76131 Karlsruhe, Germany

Phone: +49 721 608-45336
Fax:     +49 721 608-44077
EMail:  [hidden email]
http://his.anthropomatik.kit.edu/

KIT – University of the State of Baden-Wuerttemberg and
National Research Center of the Helmholtz Association

Re: COLLADA exporter

Praveen

Thanks a lot for directing towards Robot Editor.

Is it possible to model for now a mobile robot with different kinds of wheels. As I understand, there is no option for now. Are there any plans to include modelling of mobile robots also in Robot Editor.?

Just to get started I just want to create a three wheeled robot (a box with three wheels).

1. How can I link the wheels to the differential in Collada through Robot Editor ?

I have the logic on how to control the vehicle in code and also the physics required but kind of ignorant about the modelling in blender and how to link it to the physics required ?

Can you please help me get started ?

Thank you in advance

Best Regards
Praveen

Re: COLLADA exporter

Hi Praveen,

there's a diff drive example in openrave:

http://openrave.org/en/main/openravepy/examples.testphysics_diffdrive.html

i'm attaching two files:

- openrave xml of the robot
- dae of the robot (exported from openrave)

this could at least show you the structure of the dae file (perhaps
you can even edit it by hand, but then it would be easier if you use
OpenRAVE XML).

as for using Robot Editor, you'l have to talk with Stefan.

rosen,

2011/8/12 Praveen <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks a lot for directing towards Robot Editor.
>
> Is it possible to model for now a mobile robot with different kinds of
> wheels. As I understand, there is no option for now. Are there any plans to
> include modelling of mobile robots also in Robot Editor.?
>
> Just to get started I just want to create a three wheeled robot (a box with
> three wheels).
>
> 1. How can I link the wheels to the differential in Collada through Robot
> Editor ?
>
> I have the logic on how to control the vehicle in code and also the physics
> required but kind of ignorant about the modelling in blender and how to link
> it to the physics required ?
>
> Can you please help me get started ?
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Best Regards
> Praveen

diffdrive_sample.robot.xml (1K) Download Attachment
diffdrive_sample.dae (25K) Download Attachment

Re: COLLADA exporter

strikedp
Hi Praveen,
i'm working for a project so similar at yours and i've your same old questions/problems.
I've my model complete in blender and i can't import it in OpenRAVE with all kinematics informations.
Have you find a solution for your questions? If yes, you can be very useful for me!
Sorry if my english is not perfect (i'm an italian student )
Thank you so much.

Strikedp

Re: COLLADA exporter

Praveen
Hi,

Can you send your blender file ?

Regards
Praveen

i'm working for a project so similar at yours and i've your same old questions/problems.
I've my model complete in blender and i can't import it in OpenRAVE with all kinematics informations.
Have you find a solution for your questions? If yes, you can be very useful for me!
Sorry if my english is not perfect (i'm an italian student )
Thank you so much.

Strikedp

http://openrave-users-list.185357.n3.nabble.com/COLLADA-exporter-tp3246126p4026705.html
To start a new topic under OpenRAVE Users List, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from COLLADA exporter, click here.
NAML

Re: COLLADA exporter

strikedp
Hi Praveen,