Compilation of r1650 under win7 x64

piero zucchelli
Hi Rosen,

I am able to compile correctly r1650 under win7 64bits, however when i launch openrave the program crashes. I can avoid the crash by the option --nogui.

is this normal? e.g. can openrave be run under win7 x64 to your knowledge?

Best,
Piero

Re: Compilation of r1650 under win7 x64

Hi Piero,

Given that all the precompiled libraries that are being included for
openrave are for windows xp 32bit, I'm surprised it even links. i
guess there's a 32bit compatibility mode... anyway, can you try
pre-compiled openrave binaries from here:

http://www.programmingvision.com/openrave_1650.zip

Just remove your C:\Program Files\openrave folder and unzip it. If it
works, it means your compiler is messing up the binary. If it
doesn't... then you would need to compile soqt, coin3d, and qt4 for
win7 64bit; we can potentially include them into the openrave
distribution if they work.

rosen,

2010/7/23 piero zucchelli <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Rosen,
> I am able to compile correctly r1650 under win7 64bits, however when i
> launch openrave the program crashes. I can avoid the crash by the option
> --nogui.
> is this normal? e.g. can openrave be run under win7 x64 to your knowledge?
> Best,
> Piero

Re: Compilation of r1650 under win7 x64

piero zucchelli
Hi Rosen,

I'll do what you say and let you know. Indeed i am running Win7 ultimate, that contains additional xp compatibility mode features with respect to the home edition.

Best,
Piero

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Rosen Diankov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Piero,

Given that all the precompiled libraries that are being included for
openrave are for windows xp 32bit, I'm surprised it even links. i
guess there's a 32bit compatibility mode... anyway, can you try
pre-compiled openrave binaries from here:

http://www.programmingvision.com/openrave_1650.zip

Just remove your C:\Program Files\openrave folder and unzip it. If it
works, it means your compiler is messing up the binary. If it
doesn't... then you would need to compile soqt, coin3d, and qt4 for
win7 64bit; we can potentially include them into the openrave
distribution if they work.

rosen,

2010/7/23 piero zucchelli <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Rosen,
> I am able to compile correctly r1650 under win7 64bits, however when i
> launch openrave the program crashes. I can avoid the crash by the option
> --nogui.
> is this normal? e.g. can openrave be run under win7 x64 to your knowledge?
> Best,
> Piero

Piero Zucchelli
GSM: +41796366267

Re: Compilation of r1650 under win7 x64

piero zucchelli
Indeed, the behaviour is different but still it doesn't work: replacing the binaries/libraries you sent me, the program hangs (e.g. doesn't crash) however displays the following issues:

C:\Windows\system32>openrave robots/puma.robot.xml
[plugindatabase.h:355] Failed to create name ode, interface collisionchecker
[plugindatabase.h:355] Failed to create name bullet, interface collisionchecker
[plugindatabase.h:355] Failed to create name pqp, interface collisionchecker
[environment.h:169] failed to find any collision checker.
[plugindatabase.h:355] Failed to create name textserver, interface probleminstance
[plugindatabase.h:355] Failed to create name qtcoin, interface viewer
[openrave.cpp:315] failed to find an OpenRAVE viewer.
[xmlreaders.h:345] could not find file robots/puma.robot.xml
[environment.h:451] load failed on file robots/puma.robot.xml

I am an openrave novice: Am i doing something else wrong?

Best,
Piero

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Rosen Diankov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Piero,

Given that all the precompiled libraries that are being included for
openrave are for windows xp 32bit, I'm surprised it even links. i
guess there's a 32bit compatibility mode... anyway, can you try
pre-compiled openrave binaries from here:

http://www.programmingvision.com/openrave_1650.zip

Just remove your C:\Program Files\openrave folder and unzip it. If it
works, it means your compiler is messing up the binary. If it
doesn't... then you would need to compile soqt, coin3d, and qt4 for
win7 64bit; we can potentially include them into the openrave
distribution if they work.

rosen,

2010/7/23 piero zucchelli <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Rosen,
> I am able to compile correctly r1650 under win7 64bits, however when i
> launch openrave the program crashes. I can avoid the crash by the option
> --nogui.
> is this normal? e.g. can openrave be run under win7 x64 to your knowledge?
> Best,
> Piero

Piero Zucchelli
GSM: +41796366267

Re: Compilation of r1650 under win7 x64

This is weird. Did you unzip that file to C:\Program Files? And add
C:\Program Files\openrave\bin to your environment Path variable?

Can you try running openrave from C:\Program Files\bin instead of
c:\Windows\system32?

rosen,

2010/7/23 piero zucchelli <[hidden email]>:

> Indeed, the behaviour is different but still it doesn't work: replacing the
> binaries/libraries you sent me, the program hangs (e.g. doesn't crash)
> however displays the following issues:
>
> C:\Windows\system32>openrave robots/puma.robot.xml
> [plugindatabase.h:355] Failed to create name ode, interface collisionchecker
> [plugindatabase.h:355] Failed to create name bullet, interface
> collisionchecker
> [plugindatabase.h:355] Failed to create name pqp, interface collisionchecker
> [environment.h:169] failed to find any collision checker.
> [plugindatabase.h:355] Failed to create name textserver, interface
> probleminstance
> [plugindatabase.h:355] Failed to create name qtcoin, interface viewer
> [openrave.cpp:315] failed to find an OpenRAVE viewer.
> [xmlreaders.h:345] could not find file robots/puma.robot.xml
> [environment.h:451] load failed on file robots/puma.robot.xml
> I am an openrave novice: Am i doing something else wrong?
> Best,
> Piero
>
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Rosen Diankov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Piero,
>>
>> Given that all the precompiled libraries that are being included for
>> openrave are for windows xp 32bit, I'm surprised it even links. i
>> guess there's a 32bit compatibility mode... anyway, can you try
>> pre-compiled openrave binaries from here:
>>
>> http://www.programmingvision.com/openrave_1650.zip
>>
>> Just remove your C:\Program Files\openrave folder and unzip it. If it
>> works, it means your compiler is messing up the binary. If it
>> doesn't... then you would need to compile soqt, coin3d, and qt4 for
>> win7 64bit; we can potentially include them into the openrave
>> distribution if they work.
>>
>> rosen,
>>
>> 2010/7/23 piero zucchelli <[hidden email]>:
>> > Hi Rosen,
>> > I am able to compile correctly r1650 under win7 64bits, however when i
>> > launch openrave the program crashes. I can avoid the crash by the option
>> > --nogui.
>> > is this normal? e.g. can openrave be run under win7 x64 to your
>> > knowledge?
>> > Best,
>> > Piero

> Piero Zucchelli
> GSM: +41796366267

Re: Compilation of r1650 under win7 x64

piero zucchelli
Indeed you are right.

I had installed your zip file into "c:\program files (x86)\openrave" since this is the default installation location under windows 7 for x86 compatible applications. As soon as i moved it under "c: \program files\openrave" the application "openrave.exe" started working, and i could display the puma robot.

Thanks for the help, i am going to understand what i did wrong in my own compilation.

Best,
Piero

--

Piero Zucchelli
GSM: +41796366267

Re: Compilation of r1650 under win7 x64

Hi Piero,

As long as you choose the correct install directory in the cmake
process (use the cmake GUI to set the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX), you can
theoretically put the files anywhere. Moving the files to a different
directory is possible, but it will cause headaches since the header
files cache the original install directory.

rosen,

2010/7/23 piero zucchelli <[hidden email]>:

> Indeed you are right.
> I had installed your zip file into "c:\program files (x86)\openrave" since
> this is the default installation location under windows 7 for x86 compatible
> applications. As soon as i moved it under "c: \program files\openrave" the
> application "openrave.exe" started working, and i could display the puma
> robot.
> Thanks for the help, i am going to understand what i did wrong in my own
> compilation.
> Best,
> Piero
>
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 11:31 PM, Rosen Diankov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> This is weird. Did you unzip that file to C:\Program Files? And add
>> C:\Program Files\openrave\bin to your environment Path variable?
>>
>> Can you try running openrave from C:\Program Files\bin instead of
>> c:\Windows\system32?
>>
>> rosen,
>>
>> 2010/7/23 piero zucchelli <[hidden email]>:
>> > Indeed, the behaviour is different but still it doesn't work: replacing
>> > the
>> > binaries/libraries you sent me, the program hangs (e.g. doesn't crash)
>> > however displays the following issues:
>> >
>> > C:\Windows\system32>openrave robots/puma.robot.xml
>> > [plugindatabase.h:355] Failed to create name ode, interface
>> > collisionchecker
>> > [plugindatabase.h:355] Failed to create name bullet, interface
>> > collisionchecker
>> > [plugindatabase.h:355] Failed to create name pqp, interface
>> > collisionchecker
>> > [environment.h:169] failed to find any collision checker.
>> > [plugindatabase.h:355] Failed to create name textserver, interface
>> > probleminstance
>> > [plugindatabase.h:355] Failed to create name qtcoin, interface viewer
>> > [openrave.cpp:315] failed to find an OpenRAVE viewer.
>> > [xmlreaders.h:345] could not find file robots/puma.robot.xml
>> > [environment.h:451] load failed on file robots/puma.robot.xml
>> > I am an openrave novice: Am i doing something else wrong?
>> > Best,
>> > Piero
>> >
>> > On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Rosen Diankov
>> > <[hidden email]>

>> > --
>> >
>> > Piero Zucchelli
>> > GSM: +41796366267
>> >

> --
>
> Piero Zucchelli
> GSM: +41796366267

Re: Compilation of r1650 under win7 x64

piero zucchelli
Hi Rosen,

to summarize my (solved) problem, the openrave libraries compiled by you were working correctly in windows 7 x64 - without any issue - but the libraries/installation i was creating by compiling with visual studio 2008 under win7 x64 - using the solution file generated by cmake 2.8 - was crashing as soon as the GUI was launched.

I finally found the solution: the openrave executable properties have to be modified towards  "windows95" compatibility mode. all the other windows compatibility modes result in the same crash. I believe it must be related to multi-threading or similar issues on the GUI part. I have an nvidia geforce graphics board and I am  running on a sony vaio with I5 processor.

For your information,

All the best
Piero

--

Piero Zucchelli
GSM: +41796366267

Re: Compilation of r1650 under win7 x64

Hi Piero,

Are these properties something that we should modify in the cmake
build process? Is it a visual studio solution property you set? Or is
it something you set after the executable is built?

thanks,
rosen,

2010/7/24 piero zucchelli <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Rosen,
> to summarize my (solved) problem, the openrave libraries compiled by you
> were working correctly in windows 7 x64 - without any issue - but the
> libraries/installation i was creating by compiling with visual studio 2008
> under win7 x64 - using the solution file generated by cmake 2.8 - was
> crashing as soon as the GUI was launched.
> I finally found the solution: the openrave executable properties have to be
> modified towards  "windows95" compatibility mode. all the other windows
> compatibility modes result in the same crash. I believe it must be related
> to multi-threading or similar issues on the GUI part. I have an nvidia
> geforce graphics board and I am  running on a sony vaio with I5 processor.
> For your information,
> All the best
> Piero
>
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 11:46 PM, Rosen Diankov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Piero,
>>
>> As long as you choose the correct install directory in the cmake
>> process (use the cmake GUI to set the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX), you can
>> theoretically put the files anywhere. Moving the files to a different
>> directory is possible, but it will cause headaches since the header
>> files cache the original install directory.
>>
>> rosen,
>>
>> 2010/7/23 piero zucchelli <[hidden email]>:
>> > Indeed you are right.
>> > I had installed your zip file into "c:\program files (x86)\openrave"
>> > since
>> > this is the default installation location under windows 7 for x86
>> > compatible
>> > applications. As soon as i moved it under "c: \program files\openrave"
>> > the
>> > application "openrave.exe" started working, and i could display the puma
>> > robot.
>> > Thanks for the help, i am going to understand what i did wrong in my own
>> > compilation.
>> > Best,
>> > Piero
>> >
>> > On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 11:31 PM, Rosen Diankov
>> > <[hidden email]>

>> > --
>> >
>> > Piero Zucchelli
>> > GSM: +41796366267
>> >

> --
>
> Piero Zucchelli
> GSM: +41796366267

Re: Compilation of r1650 under win7 x64

piero zucchelli
indeed i set it after the executable was built. However, I am sure there is a parameter in visual studio that can be modified for that purpose. Honestly, i wouldn't know how to do it since I am not a visual studio expert.

Best,
Piero

--

Piero Zucchelli
GSM: +41796366267

Re: Compilation of r1650 under win7 x64

Hi Piero,

Ok, no problem. Thanks for the info. If you can figure out that visual
studio option, then we can add it into the build process so others
don't have to suffer ;0)