Converting point cloud data to objects in openrave

Converting point cloud data to objects in openrave

helou

Hello Rosen,

I am interested in dynamically adding objects to the scene based on sensors. I found this possibly useful thread http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=103101d70901061429s6ae8be49hf2609ed600ddc42d%40mail.gmail.com.

My question is: does openrave have some function that can convert point cloud data to objects that can be loaded into an openrave environment?

Thanks,

Akram

Re: Converting point cloud data to objects in openrave

Nick Hillier
I don't think openrave has a specific function to do this and the thread
you link to pretty much sums up a good approach. There was another
thread somewhere where someone was looking to do a similar thing and
they ended up voxelising their point cloud and adding it into the scene
as a lot of cubes.

Our group has tried a similar approach, voxelising the point cloud into
a non-cubic lattice and then removing the internal structure so you are
left with a surface, which we convert to VRML before adding it into the
environment. This works well for importing large point clouds of static
scenes, but is not very useful for continuous updates or for scenes with
dynamic elements.

Nick

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 07:49 +1100, Akram Helou wrote:

> Hello Rosen,
>

> I am interested in dynamically adding objects to the scene based on
> sensors. I found this possibly useful thread
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=103101d70901061429s6ae8be49hf2609ed600ddc42d%40mail.gmail.com.
>

> My question is: does openrave have some function that can convert
> point cloud data to objects that can be loaded into an openrave
> environment?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Akram

Re: Converting point cloud data to objects in openrave

hi akram,

Since that thread, we've added an InitFromBoxes functions to the KinBody:

http://openrave.programmingvision.com/ordocs/en/html/classOpenRAVE_1_1KinBody.html#a113f4153fa465e8fdd5379eca606e09e

This allows you to specify a vector of axis-aligned boxes (or oriented
boxes) as collision objects. It works relatively fast and I've used it
in the past to bring in range data into openrave in real-time for
planning.

Several openrave users have played with adding in point clouds even
faster, so you can get some great feedback if you have problems.

rosen,

2010/11/2 Nick Hillier <[hidden email]>:

> I don't think openrave has a specific function to do this and the thread
> you link to pretty much sums up a good approach. There was another
> thread somewhere where someone was looking to do a similar thing and
> they ended up voxelising their point cloud and adding it into the scene
> as a lot of cubes.
>
> Our group has tried a similar approach, voxelising the point cloud into
> a non-cubic lattice and then removing the internal structure so you are
> left with a surface, which we convert to VRML before adding it into the
> environment. This works well for importing large point clouds of static
> scenes, but is not very useful for continuous updates or for scenes with
> dynamic elements.
>
> Nick
>

> On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 07:49 +1100, Akram Helou wrote:
>> Hello Rosen,
>>

>> I am interested in dynamically adding objects to the scene based on
>> sensors. I found this possibly useful thread
>> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=103101d70901061429s6ae8be49hf2609ed600ddc42d%40mail.gmail.com.
>>

>> My question is: does openrave have some function that can convert
>> point cloud data to objects that can be loaded into an openrave
>> environment?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Akram

realtime_obstacles.jpg (261K) Download Attachment