Door Opening Example

Rosen Diankov-2
It's been a while since the last major OpenRAVE change. I would like to inform you all of a new example showing how to open and close doors using caging grasps. This algorithm is from a recent paper that will be published in Humanoids 2008, and we're publicly disclosing it in the hopes of it being useful to other research groups.

You can find the tutorial at:
http://openrave.programmingvision.com/index.php?title=Examples:DoorManipulation

We're currently planning to add some major features of OpenRAVE that will allow users to fully take advantage of multi-core computers and to better organize their plugins. One of our primary goals is to have better integration with a new robot architecture called ROS, this will give OpenRAVE the much needed navigation support and standardized binding interfaces to real hardware. We're also planning to add scriprint support for python (and possibly lisp).

rosen,

Door_opening_robots.jpg (115K) Download Attachment

Re: Door Opening Example

Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda
A Dilluns 13 Octubre 2008, Rosen Diankov va escriure:
> It's been a while since the last major OpenRAVE change. I would like to
> inform you all of a new example showing how to open and close doors using
> caging grasps. This algorithm is from a recent paper that will be published
> in Humanoids 2008, and we're publicly disclosing it in the hopes of it
> being useful to other research groups.
>
> You can find the tutorial at:
> http://openrave.programmingvision.com/index.php?title=Examples:DoorManipula
>tion

Thanks. Sure it would be useful

> We're currently planning to add some major features of OpenRAVE that will
> allow users to fully take advantage of multi-core computers and to better
> organize their plugins. One of our primary goals is to have better
> integration with a new robot architecture called ROS, this will give
> OpenRAVE the much needed navigation support and standardized binding
> interfaces to real hardware. We're also planning to add scriprint support
> for python (and possibly lisp).

I would like to ask if some of you knows orocos [1]. I think that it's more or
less similar to ROS but much more advanced and mature.

Regards,

Leo

PS also, are you still interested in migrate openrave to cmake as build
system?

[1] www.orocos.org

Linux User 152692
PGP: 0xF944807E
Catalonia

Re: Door Opening Example

Rosen Diankov-2
Hi Leo,

Yes, migrating to cmake is another one of our top priorities, but this won't affect the code structure so hopefully no one will even notice the change (besides rediculously fast compile times)

If anyone using orocos to control their robots wants to use openrave for the planning, we would love to help out and create an openrave plugin that connects to orocos.

rosen,

2008/10/13 Leopold Palomo Avellaneda <[hidden email]>
A Dilluns 13 Octubre 2008, Rosen Diankov va escriure:
> It's been a while since the last major OpenRAVE change. I would like to
> inform you all of a new example showing how to open and close doors using
> caging grasps. This algorithm is from a recent paper that will be published
> in Humanoids 2008, and we're publicly disclosing it in the hopes of it
> being useful to other research groups.
>
> You can find the tutorial at:
> http://openrave.programmingvision.com/index.php?title=Examples:DoorManipula
>tion

Thanks. Sure it would be useful

> We're currently planning to add some major features of OpenRAVE that will
> allow users to fully take advantage of multi-core computers and to better
> organize their plugins. One of our primary goals is to have better
> integration with a new robot architecture called ROS, this will give
> OpenRAVE the much needed navigation support and standardized binding
> interfaces to real hardware. We're also planning to add scriprint support
> for python (and possibly lisp).

I would like to ask if some of you knows orocos [1]. I think that it's more or
less similar to ROS but much more advanced and mature.

Regards,

Leo

PS also, are you still interested in migrate openrave to cmake as build
system?

[1] www.orocos.org

Linux User 152692
PGP: 0xF944807E
Catalonia

Re: Door Opening Example

Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda
A Dilluns 13 Octubre 2008, Rosen Diankov va escriure:
> Hi Leo,
>
> Yes, migrating to cmake is another one of our top priorities, but this
> won't affect the code structure so hopefully no one will even notice the
> change (besides rediculously fast compile times)

in theory no but, who knows. I compiled openrave in my debian-lenny  amd64 box
and I got some problems, but I didn't expend to much time. I will try to look
more deeply openrave this week or the next week.

> If anyone using orocos to control their robots wants to use openrave for
> the planning, we would love to help out and create an openrave plugin that
> connects to orocos.

orocos give you the same and more than ros. Please, look on it.

Regards,

Leo

> rosen,
>
> 2008/10/13 Leopold Palomo Avellaneda <[hidden email]>
>
> > A Dilluns 13 Octubre 2008, Rosen Diankov va escriure:
> > > It's been a while since the last major OpenRAVE change. I would like to
> > > inform you all of a new example showing how to open and close doors
> > > using caging grasps. This algorithm is from a recent paper that will be
> >
> > published
> >
> > > in Humanoids 2008, and we're publicly disclosing it in the hopes of it
> > > being useful to other research groups.
> > >
> > > You can find the tutorial at:
> >
> > http://openrave.programmingvision.com/index.php?title=Examples:DoorManipu
> >la
> >
> > >tion
> >
> > Thanks. Sure it would be useful
> >
> > > We're currently planning to add some major features of OpenRAVE that
> > > will allow users to fully take advantage of multi-core computers and to
> > > better organize their plugins. One of our primary goals is to have
> > > better integration with a new robot architecture called ROS, this will
> > > give OpenRAVE the much needed navigation support and standardized
> > > binding interfaces to real hardware. We're also planning to add
> > > scriprint support for python (and possibly lisp).
> >
> > I would like to ask if some of you knows orocos [1]. I think that it's
> > more or
> > less similar to ROS but much more advanced and mature.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Leo
> >
> > PS also, are you still interested in migrate openrave to cmake as build
> > system?
> >

> > [1] www.orocos.org
> >

> > --
> > --
> > Linux User 152692
> > PGP: 0xF944807E
> > Catalonia

Linux User 152692
PGP: 0xF944807E
Catalonia

Re: Door Opening Example

Rosen Diankov-2
Hi Leo,

Just so you know, my home machine is linux x86-64 and it runs openrave just fine. There is one minor compiler bug (which I'm having a hard time reproducing) when optimizations are turned on though. So if there's any problems with your install, it's probably that you are missing libraries.

As for orocos, I really like the Kinematics and Dynamics library and have been thinking of using it myself. But I wouldn't go so far as to say orocos does the same or more than ROS. We have a mobile segway platform, and with ROS we get out of the box navigation, laser localization, mapping, segway driver for control, visualization, and we can control what runs on what computer. ROS is also very decentralized because it doesn't set in stone any messages, and it has a neat packaging system.

However, our group is not tied to any particular architecture, and we've used OpenRAVE with many other systems. We focus on the planning parts, but I do help users to integrate with other systems if they are interested.

rosen,

2008/10/13 Leopold Palomo Avellaneda <[hidden email]>
A Dilluns 13 Octubre 2008, Rosen Diankov va escriure:
> Hi Leo,
>
> Yes, migrating to cmake is another one of our top priorities, but this
> won't affect the code structure so hopefully no one will even notice the
> change (besides rediculously fast compile times)

in theory no but, who knows. I compiled openrave in my debian-lenny  amd64 box
and I got some problems, but I didn't expend to much time. I will try to look
more deeply openrave this week or the next week.

> If anyone using orocos to control their robots wants to use openrave for
> the planning, we would love to help out and create an openrave plugin that
> connects to orocos.

orocos give you the same and more than ros. Please, look on it.

Regards,

Leo

> rosen,
>
> 2008/10/13 Leopold Palomo Avellaneda <[hidden email]>
>
> > A Dilluns 13 Octubre 2008, Rosen Diankov va escriure:
> > > It's been a while since the last major OpenRAVE change. I would like to
> > > inform you all of a new example showing how to open and close doors
> > > using caging grasps. This algorithm is from a recent paper that will be
> >
> > published
> >
> > > in Humanoids 2008, and we're publicly disclosing it in the hopes of it
> > > being useful to other research groups.
> > >
> > > You can find the tutorial at:
> >
> > http://openrave.programmingvision.com/index.php?title=Examples:DoorManipu
> >la
> >
> > >tion
> >
> > Thanks. Sure it would be useful
> >
> > > We're currently planning to add some major features of OpenRAVE that
> > > will allow users to fully take advantage of multi-core computers and to
> > > better organize their plugins. One of our primary goals is to have
> > > better integration with a new robot architecture called ROS, this will
> > > give OpenRAVE the much needed navigation support and standardized
> > > binding interfaces to real hardware. We're also planning to add
> > > scriprint support for python (and possibly lisp).
> >
> > I would like to ask if some of you knows orocos [1]. I think that it's
> > more or
> > less similar to ROS but much more advanced and mature.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Leo
> >
> > PS also, are you still interested in migrate openrave to cmake as build
> > system?
> >

> > [1] www.orocos.org
> >

> > --
> > --
> > Linux User 152692
> > PGP: 0xF944807E
> > Catalonia

Linux User 152692
PGP: 0xF944807E
Catalonia

Re: Door Opening Example

Rosen Diankov-2
In fact from reading about Orocos, I don't see any reason why we can't use Orocos, ROS, OpenRAVE, CARMEN, and every other robotics package in conjunction. There seems to be a lot of things Orocos can do that OpenRAVE and ROS can't, and vice versa. And I'm sure a lot of robotics packages have a special niche where they are the best at. So I don't see why we have to sacrifice one over another ;0) . This is why OpenRAVE is a plugin architecture. We can't claim to do everything better than others.

rosen,

Linux User 152692
PGP: 0xF944807E
Catalonia