Environment and robots descriptions

virgil
Fellow Openravers,

Although I am new in the field and use of Openrave,  I can appreciate the benefits of the openrave XML format. However, for a problem description started from scratch I feel I am too error prone to go that route. Are there any methodologies or other software packages that can help with the problem description. Starting with "virgin" 3D CAD models of the environment and the robot, what is the best and/or easiest way to create the openrave XML files?

Thank you, (please be gentle :-)

Virgil

Re: Environment and robots descriptions

hi Virgil,

The best way is to look in the example openrave environments in
share/openrave/data and robots in share/openrave/robots. You can
easily open them with 'openrave ???.xml'.

As a beginner, it is probably best to look at the current openrave
example programs, and modify them a little to suit your needs.

python examples are in share/openrave/openravepy/examples, and can be
executed with 'openrave.py --example ???'.
c++ examples are in share/openrave/cppexamples.

After you get comfortable with openrave, you can move onto creating
your own code from scratch.

good luck!
rosen,