Getting Started with ROS + Openrave

Aaron
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Let me explain where I am at and where I am trying to go.

On the Openrave side, I can generate the ik files for my robot, and I am able to do path planning + trajectory generation just fine. I need to be able to interface this ability with ROS though because I have a nice robot controller already built for ROS. What I really need to do is have openrave spit out trajectories to a ROS message or service and I can take it from there. I know how to do this from scratch but I am assuming there is stuff already available that will do this for me.

I've been trying to get into using ROS with OpenRave but I feel like I keep going around in circles and am just spinning my wheels. I am able to load a scene and access the services like this short tutorial http://www.ros.org/wiki/openraveros, but is there an easy way I can have full access to the openrave environment if it has been launch from ros in the manner above? I guess what would help me the most is to see some tutorials or examples, can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Aaron

Re: Getting Started with ROS + Openrave

hi aaron,

you can take a look at the orrosplanning ros package for a quick
example on how to process an incoming ROS request, plan in openrave,
and then return the trajectory in ROS format:

http://sourceforge.net/p/jsk-ros-pkg/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/openrave_planning/orrosplanning/armplanning_openrave.py

hope this helps,
rosen,

2013/6/20 Aaron <[hidden email]>:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Let me explain where
> I am at and where I am trying to go.
>
> On the Openrave side, I can generate the ik files for my robot, and I am
> able to do path planning + trajectory generation just fine. I need to be
> able to interface this ability with ROS though because I have a nice robot
> controller already built for ROS. What I really need to do is have openrave
> spit out trajectories to a ROS message or service and I can take it from
> there. I know how to do this from scratch but I am assuming there is stuff
> already available that will do this for me.
>
> I've been trying to get into using ROS with OpenRave but I feel like I keep
> going around in circles and am just spinning my wheels. I am able to load a
> scene and access the services like this short tutorial
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/openraveros, but is there an easy way I can have
> full access to the openrave environment if it has been launch from ros in
> the manner above? I guess what would help me the most is to see some
> tutorials or examples, can someone point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron

Re: Getting Started with ROS + Openrave

Franks
im sorry but is this OpenRAVE/IKFast only good for ubuntu ?im on win 8.1 x64 and i have had Zero luck with Visual Studio 2013