How do I get the fingertips' positions and normals given any joint configuration?

How do I get the fingertips' positions and normals given any joint configuration?

kaiyuh
Hi there,

I'm very new to the openrave and am now learning how to use it for my project. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I'm now playing with the Barrett hand robot defined by "barretthand.robot.xml" and able to set dof values for all 4 dofs (I'm scripting in Python). For the purposes of my current project, I would like to ask the following 2 questions:

1. Given a collision free configuration of the hand, how can I get all 3 fingertips positions and normals? Assuming that the hand  is located at a specific position with a specific rotation.

2. Assuming that the hand is floating, i.e. with 6 more dofs for its base, if I know there is a configuration of joints/dofs can be a good grasp on an object, how can I move the hand to a specific position to achieve this grasp?

Thank you very much!