IKFast giving no solutions; what can I do?

IKFast giving no solutions; what can I do?

fuzzyTew
Hi,

I am new to robotics and trying to build a small arduino-powered
legged robot toy with inverse kinematics.  I've modeled one of the
legs in openrave's xml format at
https://github.com/fuzzyTew/toywalker/blob/wip/ToyWalker/examples/Prototype/openrave/Prototype.robot.xml
.

Unfortunately, when I compile and run the ikfast cpp for the robot,
every point I pass outputs "Failed to get ik solution".  I've tried a
complete 4x4x4 cube centered at the origin, in 0.1 increments.  My ikfast
arguments are `--iktype=translation3d --baselink=0 --elink=4`.

Is there some program that will load this xml and let me move the
joints around to verify what points the robot can reach, and that I
have modeled it correctly?

Thanks so much for help,
Karl Semich

Re: IKFast giving no solutions; what can I do?

caron
Hi fuzzyTew,

On 07/01/2017 06:26 PM, fuzzyTew [via OpenRAVE Users List] wrote:
> Is there some program that will load this xml and let me move the
> joints around to verify what points the robot can reach, and that I
> have modeled it correctly?

In Python, you can load your robot and display it in the QtCoin GUI
using the following example:
<http://openrave.org/docs/latest_stable/tutorials/openravepy_examples/#simple-environment-loading>.

Then, you can switch to interaction mode in the GUI to move the joints
of your robot one by one. See
<http://openrave.programmingvision.com/wiki/index.php/GUI:QtCoin>.

Sorry I can't help you with IKFast. For legged robots in OpenRAVE, you
can also check out the pymanoid library
<https://github.com/stephane-caron/pymanoid>. Disclaimer: I'm the main
developer of this library ;)

Good luck with your project!