Integrating OpenRAVE with a ROS catkin workspace

Integrating OpenRAVE with a ROS catkin workspace

Stefan Kohlbrecher-2
Hi,

for a certain  project, we want to use OpenRAVE as part of our planning system. We´re otherwise using a catkin based ROS workspace setup to make the complete system setup available to all contributors. Having a easy and reproducible way to setup things is very important, so I was wondering if there are currently any best practices for integrating OpenRAVE with ROS based software. Ideally, we´d want it to be part of our catkin workspace, which would simplify installation greatly. Any suggestions are appreciated.

regards,
Stefan

Re: Integrating OpenRAVE with a ROS catkin workspace

Michael Koval
You should take a look at REP-136 [1] and, if you plan on building
Debian packages, the Bloom tutorial for releasing a third-party
package [2]. We were facing the same problem decided to follow these
guidelines and treat OpenRAVE as a third-party package. This pretty
much amounts to creating a package.xml file for OpenRAVE with a
<buildtool_depend> of "cmake" instead of "catkin". To make this work
on the build-server, you have to patch the package.xml file and its
intall() step into the GBP repo you're using for OpenRAVE (see [2] for
the specifics).

We managed to get this sorted out and have been successfully building
OpenRAVE 0.9 deb's from our fork [3] on an internal build server based
on buildbot-ros [4]. This uses the normal Bloom + GBP infrastructure,
so I expect that it will work with no changes on the OSRF buildfarm.
If it would be helpful, I could move our OpenRAVE GBP repository to a
public Github repository so you can take a look at our package.xml and
patching step.

-Michael

[1] http://www.ros.org/reps/rep-0136.html
[2] http://wiki.ros.org/bloom/Tutorials/ReleaseThirdParty
[3] https://github.com/personalrobotics/openrave
[4] https://github.com/mikeferguson/buildbot-ros

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Stefan Kohlbrecher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> for a certain  project, we want to use OpenRAVE as part of our planning
> system. We´re otherwise using a catkin based ROS workspace setup to make the
> complete system setup available to all contributors. Having a easy and
> reproducible way to setup things is very important, so I was wondering if
> there are currently any best practices for integrating OpenRAVE with ROS
> based software. Ideally, we´d want it to be part of our catkin workspace,
> which would simplify installation greatly. Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> regards,
> Stefan

Re: Integrating OpenRAVE with a ROS catkin workspace

Stefan Kohlbrecher-2
Hi Michael,

thanks for the fast and very comprehensive reply! We´ll look into following your advice and report back (might take some time). If you can make that OpenRAVE GBP repo available, that would probably be helpful.

regards,
Stefan