Moving robots

Andrew Audibert
Hi,

Once a robot and its environment have been properly set up, what's the
simplest/best way to tell the robot to move to a point in the environment?
Is there a way to tell it to move in the direction it's facing?
Thanks,
Andrew Audibert

Re: Moving robots

hi andrew,

there are 2 types of movements: immediate and trajectory

Immediate movements are done with KinBody's SetJointValues and
SetTransform functions

trajectory movements are done by first using a planner to find a
collision free trajectory, and then run it with Robot's SetMotion
functions

there's tutorials in python here:
http://openrave.programmingvision.com/ordocs/en/openravepy-html/index.html#rst-quick-examples

and c++ examples here:

http://openrave.programmingvision.com/ordocs/en/html/examples.html

rosen,

2010/10/19 Andrew Audibert <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> Once a robot and its environment have been properly set up, what's the
> simplest/best way to tell the robot to move to a point in the environment?
> Is there a way to tell it to move in the direction it's facing?
> Thanks,
> Andrew Audibert

Re: Moving robots

hi andrew,

yes, in C++ there are two tutorials that show how to start trajectories

Using SetActiveMotion
http://openrave.programmingvision.com/ordocs/en/html/orplanning_planner_8cpp-example.html

Using GetController()->SetPath() - this function actually gets called
internally from SetActiveMotion/SetMotion
http://openrave.programmingvision.com/ordocs/en/html/orrobot_8cpp-example.html

SetActiveMotion allows you to specifies a trajectory in any subset of
the joints + the robot base. You can set this subset using
SetActiveDOFs. If you are interested only in navigation on the XY
plane, then you can do:

python:
Robot.SetActiveDOFs([],Robot.DOFAffine.X|Robot.DOFAffine.Y|Robot.DOFAffine.RotationAxis,[0,0,1])

c++:
vector<int> dummyindices;
RobotBase::SetActiveDOFs(dummyindices,
RobotBase::DOF_X|RobotBase::DOF_Y|RobotBase::DOF_RotationAxis,
Vector(0,0,1));

The simple navigation example
(openravepy/examples/simplenavigation.py) shows this off:

openrave.py --example simplenavigation

rosen,