Quantcast

Planning problems with circular joints

Bahram Maleki-Fard
Hi,

I'm experiencing some weird problems with planning for our robot using
circular joints.
I defined the robot with 6 DOF (6 hinge joints, each circular="true").
Now I set <limitsdeg>-180 180</limitsdeg> for each joint, although it
shouldn't make a difference as circular joints push the limits to -10000
to 10000 iirc. That's also the values I get from
     robot->GetActiveDOFLimits(..)

Planning a path (using BaseManipulation) fails very often though,
alhough IK is solved. The error always is:
     [rplanners.h:682] -> Node*
SpatialTree<Node>::_InsertNode(SpatialTree<Node>::NodePtr, const
std::vector<double>&, uint32_t) [with Node = SimpleNode;
SpatialTree<Node>::NodePtr = SimpleNode*; uint32_t = unsigned int],
expr: nParentFound!=0

The strange thing is, if I set <limitsdeg>-360 360</limitsdeg> then the
planner works fine. I even increased them to -540_540 for testing, and
now other paths were planned than before (some weird ones rotating all
the joints like crazy while the target was simply "down 10cm"; this was
an almost straight path when using -360_360).

So apparently there is some bug with circular joints? Or do I need to
adjust more parameters for the planner?

I'm on master branch, latest commit.

If required, I'll strip my code and provide an example plugin, also with
the robot file if necessary. But maybe you already have an idea where to
look? :)

Thanks!

Cheers,
Bahram

Re: Planning problems with circular joints

Bahram Maleki-Fard
Just in case someone was interested: The problem is not with circular
joints, but with SpatialTree.

See https://github.com/rdiankov/openrave/issues/323

Cheers,
Bahram