Problem compiling openravepy

keprotto
Hello, I'm Giovanni Capra!

I wish to try to use Openrave. I follow the installing instruction in the official website, but I have some problems with the python interface.
Typing "openrave.py --example graspplanning" Openrave give me this error":

    from openravepy import *
  File "/usr/local/share/openrave/openravepy/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from openravepy_int import *
ImportError: No module named openravepy_int

I search for this topic in this forum and I see that is a tipical problem.
I've followed the suggestions given in the thread but I still haven't fixed my error.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 on AMD64 processor.
I've followed all the instructions:
- Install the packages with the given command
- Upload boost,Coin3d and SoQt
- Install ODE-0.10.1
- Install python and libraries (libboost, numpy, ... )with the given command
- "make prefix=/usr/local", set "/usr/local" as my own directory path, then "make install", in the source directory of openrave
- change PYTHONPATH in the ./bashrc file

Could someone give me some advice please?
Thanks

Re: Problem compiling openravepy

hi Giovanni,

Please send the output of the make process.
If you installed the necessary python libraries (boost-python
python-dev numpy) after trying to compile openrave, you need to clear
the make cache using:

rm openrave/build/CMakeCache.txt

rosen,

2010/10/28 keprotto <[hidden email]>:

> Hello, I'm Giovanni Capra!
>
> I wish to try to use Openrave. I follow the installing instruction in the
> official website, but I have some problems with the python interface.
> Typing "openrave.py --example graspplanning" Openrave give me this error":
>
>    from openravepy import *
>  File "/usr/local/share/openrave/openravepy/__init__.py", line 1, in
> <module>
>    from openravepy_int import *
> ImportError: No module named openravepy_int
>
> I search for this topic in this forum and I see that is a tipical problem.
> I've followed the suggestions given in the thread but I still haven't fixed
> my error.
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 on AMD64 processor.
> I've followed all the instructions:
> - Install the packages with the given command
> - Upload boost,Coin3d and SoQt
> - Install ODE-0.10.1
> - Install python and libraries (libboost, numpy, ... )with the given command
> - "make prefix=/usr/local", set "/usr/local" as my own directory path, then
> "make install", in the source directory of openrave
> - change PYTHONPATH in the ./bashrc file
>
> Could someone give me some advice please?
> Thanks

Re: Problem compiling openravepy

keprotto
Hi Rosen!
Sorry for the late in my response.
I've removed the make cache and I've tried to recompile Openrave but the results are always the same.

Here there are the output files of the CMake, I hope they can be useful!

CMakeError.log
CMakeOutput.log

Re: Problem compiling openravepy

hi Giovanni,

it looks like openravepy is getting compiled and installed.. have you
set your PYTHONPATH variable to point to /usr/local/share/openrave?

rosen,

2010/11/8 keprotto <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Rosen!
> Sorry for the late in my response.
> I've removed the make cache and I've tried to recompile Openrave but the
> results are always the same.
>
> Here there are the output files of the CMake, I hope they can be useful!
>
> http://openrave-users-list.185357.n3.nabble.com/file/n1862056/CMakeError.log
> CMakeError.log
> http://openrave-users-list.185357.n3.nabble.com/file/n1862056/CMakeOutput.log
> CMakeOutput.log

param functions vs robot functions

Daniel Leidner-2
Hi all

i am trying to understand some codesnipets of openrave. What i often see
is that there are more equivalent ways to set robot options and stuff.
For example there is a function params->_setstatefn(q) and another
function probot->SetActiveDOFValues(q).
Whats the difference? When should i use one or another function? Is it
necessary to use the param functions in a planner?

Daniel

Re: param functions vs robot functions

hi Daniel,

Excellent question.

The reason for _setstatefn is to allow planners to define their own
custom configuration spaces independent of the robot. In the end, all
a planner cares about is that the system configuration moved to a
point, and that collisions/environment constraints can be checked
afterwards.

For example, _setstatefn could be setting the state of multiple
robots/bodies simultaneously.

Active DOFs are one way of specifying a subset of DOFs on the robot
that give hints to more complex functions on where to focus the search
(like MoveToHandPosition).

By default, _setstatefn is initialized to move the active DOFs of the robot.

Hope this helps,
rosen,

2010/11/8 Daniel Leidner <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all
>
> i am trying to understand some codesnipets of openrave. What i often see
> is that there are more equivalent ways to set robot options and stuff.
> For example there is a function params->_setstatefn(q) and another
> function probot->SetActiveDOFValues(q).
> Whats the difference? When should i use one or another function? Is it
> necessary to use the param functions in a planner?
>
> Daniel

Re: Problem compiling openravepy

keprotto
Yes, I think that I modify the PYTHONPATH successfully.
Typing sys.path in python I obtain:

['', '/home/Ildico/capra', '/usr/local/share/openrave', '/usr/lib/python2.6', '/usr/lib/python2.6/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-old', '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload', '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages', '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL', '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gst-0.10', '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6', '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gtk-2.0', '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/gtk-2.0', '/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages']

But now typing "import openravepy" the error is:

  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/share/openrave/openravepy/__init__.py", line 267, in <module>
    from openravepy_int import *
RuntimeError: locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid

Re: Problem compiling openravepy

progress! great!

the error message means that it is failing to set the C locale (which
all systems should have....)

what is your locale?

can you run openrave stand-alone? ie:

openrave robots/pr2-beta-static.robot.xml

rosen,

2010/11/8 keprotto <[hidden email]>:

> Yes, I think that I modify the PYTHONPATH successfully.
> Typing sys.path in python I obtain:
>
> ['', '/home/Ildico/capra', '/usr/local/share/openrave',
> '/usr/lib/python2.6', '/usr/lib/python2.6/plat-linux2',
> '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-old',
> '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload', '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages',
> '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL',
> '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gst-0.10', '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6',
> '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gtk-2.0',
> '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/gtk-2.0',
> '/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages']
>
> But now typing "import openravepy" the error is:
>
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>  File "/usr/local/share/openrave/openravepy/__init__.py", line 267, in
> <module>
>    from openravepy_int import *
> RuntimeError: locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid

Re: Problem compiling openravepy

keprotto
The stand-alone execution of openrave seems to work fine.

I never met such an error like this and so I have no confidence with the C locale.
Typing "locale" in my shell I have this output:

locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=it_IT
LC_CTYPE="it_IT"
LC_NUMERIC="it_IT"
LC_TIME="it_IT"
LC_COLLATE="it_IT"
LC_MONETARY="it_IT"
LC_MESSAGES="it_IT"
LC_PAPER="it_IT"
LC_NAME="it_IT"
LC_ADDRESS="it_IT"
LC_TELEPHONE="it_IT"
LC_MEASUREMENT="it_IT"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="it_IT"
LC_ALL=it_IT

Giovanni

Re: Problem compiling openravepy

hi Giovanni,

Can you update to r1823 and try again? The exception is being handled
now... although i'm not sure what implications that might have on
string parsing since it is necessary to use the C locale.

rosen,

2010/11/8 keprotto <[hidden email]>:

> The stand-alone execution of openrave seems to work fine.
>
> I never met such an error like this and so I have no confidence with the C
> locale.
> Typing "locale" in my shell I have this output:
>
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LANGUAGE=it_IT
> LC_CTYPE="it_IT"
> LC_NUMERIC="it_IT"
> LC_TIME="it_IT"
> LC_COLLATE="it_IT"
> LC_MONETARY="it_IT"
> LC_MESSAGES="it_IT"
> LC_PAPER="it_IT"
> LC_NAME="it_IT"
> LC_ADDRESS="it_IT"
> LC_TELEPHONE="it_IT"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="it_IT"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="it_IT"
> LC_ALL=it_IT
>
> Giovanni

Re: Problem compiling openravepy

keprotto
Hi Rosen,
as you suggest me, I update to r1823 and then to r1824 but the error is still the same:

  File "/usr/local/bin/openrave.py", line 22, in <module>
    from openravepy import *
  File "/usr/local/share/openrave/openravepy/__init__.py", line 267, in <module>
    from openravepy_int import *
RuntimeError: locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid

Have you any idea? Do I have to modify my locale maybe?

Thanks,
Giovanni

Re: Problem compiling openravepy

keprotto
Hi Rosen,
thanks for your help!
With the r1825 version python seems to work and I can run the examples!
Giovanni