ROS and OpenRave Integration

Amer Agovic
Hi Rosen,
   I am trying to integrate openrave with my ROS environment.
I followed the steps here:
http://openrave.programmingvision.com/index.php/Installation#ROS_Installation
However I already have a ROS environment. My environment has a setup.sh
and ROS works so all I want to do is add to it. After updating it with
openrave.rosinstall I get a bunch of new stacks but the openrave stack
is not where I though it should be.

My environment is like this:

/robot/ros
/robot/stacks
/robot/myDevPKG

I expect any stack to end up in /robot/stacks. It works nicely with ROS
tools and I do not need to adjust my paths.

After updating /robot/stacks folder contains most of the
openrave_planning dependencies but openrave_planning is in a folder
named /robot/jsk-ros-pkg. Two other folders are also downloaded
/robot/cmu-ros-pkg and /robot/ua-ros-pkg. None of these three folders
are stacks and so putting them directly under /stacks does not work.

My environment sees and properly works with any stack inside
/robot/stacks. Is it safe to just copy openrave_planning folder out of
jsk-ros-pkg or will that break any dependencies. My question is what do
I need to copy into /robot/stacks so that I can use openrave (for
testing and visualization) from one of my nodes.

Thank you
Amer

Re: ROS and OpenRave Integration

hi amer,

You can move the jsk-ros-pkg folder inside /ros/stacks

Or, you can add /robot/jsk-ros-pkg to your ROS_PACKAGE_PATH
environment variable.

ROS will automatically recurse the folders and find the stacks.

I don't think you'll need cmu-ros-pkg or ua-ros-pkg, so you can delete them.

good luck!
rosen,