Quantcast

Running examples with OpenRAVE local installation

Running examples with OpenRAVE local installation

ashokvms
Hello,

I had to install OpenRAVE locally from source since I do not have root permissions. All my OpenRAVE environment variables, openrave-config --share-dir, openrave-config --python-dir are all pointing correctly to my respective local folders. I also tried openrave.py --listplugins, --listexamples etc. and seems to be absolutely fine.

But when I try to run any example like openrave.py --example graspplanning, it breaks with the below output

[libopenrave.cpp:654] could not find file data/lab1.env.xml
[environment-core.h:431] load failed on file data/lab1.env.xml

If I try giving absolute path to lab1.env.xml then it breaks in the next step while trying to load some xyz.robot.xml

I am wondering why is it still looking at /usr/local/share/openrave-x.y/ to load data or robots, in spite of having all the environment variables and paths pointing to my local install folder.

I want the relative paths to work (i.e. my_local_install_folder/share/openrave-x.y) while running examples. I would appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks!

Re: Running examples with OpenRAVE local installation

Bahram Maleki-Fard
Hi,

I remember when installing OpenRAVE and changing INSTALL_PREFIX in the
ccmake gui, some paths did not adopt it after "configure"ing again.
Mostly paths with "_ABSOLUTE_DIR" infix or something like that. You
should check those first to make sure you have no more
"/usr/local/share/" prefixes.

Besides that, the OPENRAVE_DATA env var can contain additional paths
which OpenRAVE checks for loading models. You could add your local
models directory to it, in case the abovementioned installation hint
does not work.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Bahram

2015/10/12 20:20 , Ashokvms:

> Hello,
>
> I had to install OpenRAVE locally from source since I do not have root
> permissions. All my OpenRAVE environment variables, openrave-config
> --share-dir, openrave-config --python-dir are all pointing correctly to my
> respective local folders. I also tried openrave.py --listplugins,
> --listexamples etc. and seems to be absolutely fine.
>
> But when I try to run any example like openrave.py --example graspplanning,
> it breaks with the below output
>
> [libopenrave.cpp:654] could not find file data/lab1.env.xml
> [environment-core.h:431] load failed on file data/lab1.env.xml
>
> If I try giving absolute path to lab1.env.xml then it breaks in the next
> step while trying to load some xyz.robot.xml
>
> I am wondering why is it still looking at /usr/local/share/openrave-x.y/ to
> load data or robots, in spite of having all the environment variables and
> paths pointing to my local install folder.
>
> I want the relative paths to work (i.e.
> my_local_install_folder/share/openrave-x.y) while running examples. I would
> appreciate any help in this regard.
>
> Thanks!

Re: Running examples with OpenRAVE local installation

Dear all,

there's a openrave.bash script installed in share/openraveX.Y which you can source

source openrave.bash

and it will set all the necessary environment variables to run openrave examples.

best,

2015/10/12 20:20 , Ashokvms:
> Hello,
>
> I had to install OpenRAVE locally from source since I do not have root
> permissions. All my OpenRAVE environment variables, openrave-config
> --share-dir, openrave-config --python-dir are all pointing correctly to my
> respective local folders. I also tried openrave.py --listplugins,
> --listexamples etc. and seems to be absolutely fine.
>
> But when I try to run any example like openrave.py --example graspplanning,
> it breaks with the below output
>
> [libopenrave.cpp:654] could not find file data/lab1.env.xml
> [environment-core.h:431] load failed on file data/lab1.env.xml
>
> If I try giving absolute path to lab1.env.xml then it breaks in the next
> step while trying to load some xyz.robot.xml
>
> I am wondering why is it still looking at /usr/local/share/openrave-x.y/ to
> load data or robots, in spite of having all the environment variables and
> paths pointing to my local install folder.
>
> I want the relative paths to work (i.e.
> my_local_install_folder/share/openrave-x.y) while running examples. I would
> appreciate any help in this regard.
>
> Thanks!

Re: Running examples with OpenRAVE local installation

mbkv
I had the same problem. However, I solved it by using symbolic links at /usr/local/share to your custom install location of openrave. Good luck. Please let us know how this worked.