Using Bullet as a physics engine in OpenRave

Using Bullet as a physics engine in OpenRave

BlGene
I was looking through the source code of OpenRAVE and was very
impressed by the design and modular structure, I found that OpenRave
offers both ODE and Bullet support for collision detection, but only
ODE for physics simulation. As I am wanting to use Bullet as a physics
engine I was wondering if somebody working on a Bullet
physics engine plug-in?

Re: Using Bullet as a physics engine in OpenRave

Nick Hillier
 Hi, we got a Bullet physics plugin up and running about this time last year, but it wasn't maintained, mainly because we did some minor tweaks to the ODE one and found it suited our purposes better.

I can host it on launchpad for you to view/copy/develop if you'd like.

We are still looking for GPU accelerated physics, but there's nothing out there really suitable for use last time I checked, although the parallel_quickstep ROS package shows promise, and both PhysX and Bullet claim GPU support for linux is "coming soon".

Nick Hillier
Research Scientist / Engineer
Autonomous Systems Lab | Information and Communication Technologies Centre

Phone: +61 7 3327 4464
[hidden email] | www.csiro.au

Re: Using Bullet as a physics engine in OpenRave

BlGene
Hello Nick,

thanks for the quick reply. Hosting the Bullet physics plugin on launchpad would be great.

My motivation for using Bullet is to be able to simulate soft bodies not to have GPU acceleration. OpenCL support is planned for the Bullet 3.0 release and is considered a very important feature, however as you said this is still "coming soon."

Best Regards, Max

Re: Using Bullet as a physics engine in OpenRave

softy
Hello everybody,
for now, somebody try to implement GPU computation to OpenRave (Bullet support GPU computation now)? Especially collision checking (for generating grasps) or trajectory computation/solving.

Im trying to run GPU demos from Bullet on Ubuntu 14, but it thrown error: segmentation fault.

Thanks,
Tomas.