Using BulletRave for Distance Queries and Penetration depth queries

Using BulletRave for Distance Queries and Penetration depth queries

Tobias
Hi!

I am currently working on a project where we are using CollisionReports to get the distance between two arbitrary objects. For this purpose we are using the pqp plugin.

Get the collision report for two links:
raveEnv->CheckCollision(l1, l2, report)

This works well, but the problem is that
report->minDistance
 contains 0 if the two objects are penetrating each other. Instead we need the penetration depth in this case. After some time I found out, that OpenRAVE also supports the bullet physics engine which supports the calculation of penetration depth.

If we are using bulletrave to get the CollisionReport,
report->minDistance
 returns an incredible large value (1e+20) if the two links are not penetrating and 0 if they are penetrating. But I was also not able to retreive the depth penetration for this case.

So my questions are:

Why produces the bulletrave plugin such a large value for the minimal distance? Is ist not possible to compute distance queries with bulletrave?

Is it possible to calculate the penetration depth using bulletrave? Or is this feature of bullet not used in the plugin?

If so, what is the best approach to expose this feature? Should I write my own plugin, which can handle depth queries as well as depth penetration calculation?

Thanks in advance!
Tobias

Re: Using BulletRave for Distance Queries and Penetration depth queries

saurabdixit
Hi Tobias,
               Did you find any way to get penetration distance in openrave? I have same situation here.

Thanks