Windows Installation Problems

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Windows Installation Problems

nkarl2009
Hi, I am a student and I'm trying to install OpenRave...  I have 64bit Windows 7, I also have MATLAB, and VS 2010.

I have matlab installed, and I want to install OpenRave.  I followed the instructions on the site:
http://openrave.programmingvision.com/ordocs/en/html/installation_win.html

I got: CMake, Python 2.7, numpy superpack, Python Imaging Library (PIL), SciPy, and IPython which I downloaded but did not installed.

I couldn't figure out the path stuff about MATLAB in the next section.

I was able to run runcmake_win.bat, which I don't think had any errors, but then when I open the solution file in VS 2010 and compile a release version I get hundreds of warnings and a couple of errors.  Which cannot be right...

I added the PATH's in the next section and compiled INSTALL again and attempted to run it, and it failed no matter the compatibility I set.

I hope somebody can help me.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Windows Installation Problems

Thomas Ihme
Hi,

windows installations are tricky, especially with your configuration.
The solution from Goutham works for win7 (32 bit) installations as well as for
XP installations (successful on 8 machines in the lab, not successful on 2
machines).

> Hi, I am a student and I'm trying to install OpenRave...  I have 64bit
> Windows 7, I also have MATLAB, and VS 2010.

It seems that there are problems compiling with VS2010. A try with VS2008 is a
good idea. In case of parallel installation (VS2008 and VS2010) you have to
specify the correct compiler for cmake.

cmake -g "Visual Studio 9 2008" ..
(without Win64 may work)

You may also use the cmake GUI and specify the compiler as option.

> I have matlab installed, and I want to install OpenRave.  I followed the
> instructions on the site:
> http://openrave.programmingvision.com/ordocs/en/html/installation_win.html

Did you run "mex -setup" within matlab?

> I got: CMake, Python 2.7, numpy superpack, Python Imaging Library (PIL),
> SciPy, and IPython which I downloaded but did not installed.

Sympy should be unpacked in the python sub directory but is located in the base
directory (simply move the archive into the python subdir). The unpacking
command ist actually removed from runcmake_win.bat, but it should look like this:

if not exist inc\boost cmake -E tar zxf msvc_files.tgz
cd python
if not exist sympy cmake -E tar zxf sympy_0.6.7.tgz
cd ..
[...]

Please check the dependencies of the packages. I found the following solution
for win32 (some packages are not available for Python 2.7):
python-2.6.6.msi
numpy-1.5.0-win32-superpack-python2.6.exe
scipy-0.8.0-win32-superpack-python2.6.exe
ipython-0.10.win32-setup.exe
PIL-1.1.7.win32-py2.6.exe

> I couldn't figure out the path stuff about MATLAB in the next section.

- start matlab
- file --> set path

> I was able to run runcmake_win.bat, which I don't think had any errors, but
> then when I open the solution file in VS 2010 and compile a release version
> I get hundreds of warnings and a couple of errors.  Which cannot be right...

Lots of warnings may occur, bur errors should definitively not.

> I added the PATH's in the next section and compiled INSTALL again and
> attempted to run it, and it failed no matter the compatibility I set.

I did not need any compatibility setting in win7 32 bit.

Please consider to set path for all users. Sometimes it is a problem if the
path is too long.
If you have a cygwin or mingw installation, you should check if there is a
conflict with some installed packages (e.g. cmake, python)

Thomas

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beautiful is writing same markup. Internet Explorer 9 supports
standards for HTML5, CSS3, SVG 1.1,  ECMAScript5, and DOM L2 & L3.
Spend less time writing and  rewriting code and more time creating great
experiences on the web. Be a part of the beta today
http://p.sf.net/sfu/msIE9-sfdev2dev
_______________________________________________
Openrave-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/openrave-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Windows Installation Problems

Rosen Diankov
Administrator
Although Thomas mentioned this, I would like to stress that openrave
on windows only works with python 2.6.

The win 7 files from Goutham can be found here:

http://db.tt/GjkOlbb

Thomas: Although you look like an expert in openrave windows
compilation, why doesn't openrave compile on two of your machines?

rosen,

2010/11/17 Thomas Ihme <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> windows installations are tricky, especially with your configuration.
> The solution from Goutham works for win7 (32 bit) installations as well as for
> XP installations (successful on 8 machines in the lab, not successful on 2
> machines).
>
>> Hi, I am a student and I'm trying to install OpenRave...  I have 64bit
>> Windows 7, I also have MATLAB, and VS 2010.
>
> It seems that there are problems compiling with VS2010. A try with VS2008 is a
> good idea. In case of parallel installation (VS2008 and VS2010) you have to
> specify the correct compiler for cmake.
>
> cmake -g "Visual Studio 9 2008" ..
> (without Win64 may work)
>
> You may also use the cmake GUI and specify the compiler as option.
>
>> I have matlab installed, and I want to install OpenRave.  I followed the
>> instructions on the site:
>> http://openrave.programmingvision.com/ordocs/en/html/installation_win.html
>
> Did you run "mex -setup" within matlab?
>
>> I got: CMake, Python 2.7, numpy superpack, Python Imaging Library (PIL),
>> SciPy, and IPython which I downloaded but did not installed.
>
> Sympy should be unpacked in the python sub directory but is located in the base
> directory (simply move the archive into the python subdir). The unpacking
> command ist actually removed from runcmake_win.bat, but it should look like this:
>
> if not exist inc\boost cmake -E tar zxf msvc_files.tgz
> cd python
> if not exist sympy cmake -E tar zxf sympy_0.6.7.tgz
> cd ..
> [...]
>
> Please check the dependencies of the packages. I found the following solution
> for win32 (some packages are not available for Python 2.7):
> python-2.6.6.msi
> numpy-1.5.0-win32-superpack-python2.6.exe
> scipy-0.8.0-win32-superpack-python2.6.exe
> ipython-0.10.win32-setup.exe
> PIL-1.1.7.win32-py2.6.exe
>
>> I couldn't figure out the path stuff about MATLAB in the next section.
>
> - start matlab
> - file --> set path
>
>> I was able to run runcmake_win.bat, which I don't think had any errors, but
>> then when I open the solution file in VS 2010 and compile a release version
>> I get hundreds of warnings and a couple of errors.  Which cannot be right...
>
> Lots of warnings may occur, bur errors should definitively not.
>
>> I added the PATH's in the next section and compiled INSTALL again and
>> attempted to run it, and it failed no matter the compatibility I set.
>
> I did not need any compatibility setting in win7 32 bit.
>
> Please consider to set path for all users. Sometimes it is a problem if the
> path is too long.
> If you have a cygwin or mingw installation, you should check if there is a
> conflict with some installed packages (e.g. cmake, python)
>
> Thomas
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Beautiful is writing same markup. Internet Explorer 9 supports
> standards for HTML5, CSS3, SVG 1.1,  ECMAScript5, and DOM L2 & L3.
> Spend less time writing and  rewriting code and more time creating great
> experiences on the web. Be a part of the beta today
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/msIE9-sfdev2dev
> _______________________________________________
> Openrave-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/openrave-users
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beautiful is writing same markup. Internet Explorer 9 supports
standards for HTML5, CSS3, SVG 1.1,  ECMAScript5, and DOM L2 & L3.
Spend less time writing and  rewriting code and more time creating great
experiences on the web. Be a part of the beta today
http://p.sf.net/sfu/msIE9-sfdev2dev
_______________________________________________
Openrave-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/openrave-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Windows Installation Problems

Thomas Ihme
[...]

> Thomas: Although you look like an expert in openrave windows
> compilation, why doesn't openrave compile on two of your machines?

It did compile well, but I was not able to run the hanoi example. The massage
was "PYTHONPATH not set", but it actually was set. I had no time yet to figure
out the source of the problem. I used copy/paste, so I exclude a typing problem.
I've made a detailed howto for the lab installation. On request, I would post
it (needs to be translated).

Thomas

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beautiful is writing same markup. Internet Explorer 9 supports
standards for HTML5, CSS3, SVG 1.1,  ECMAScript5, and DOM L2 & L3.
Spend less time writing and  rewriting code and more time creating great
experiences on the web. Be a part of the beta today
http://p.sf.net/sfu/msIE9-sfdev2dev
_______________________________________________
Openrave-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/openrave-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Windows Installation Problems

Rosen Diankov
Administrator
hi thomas,

the PYTHONPATH not set is not actually a major problem, openrave.py
will set it automatically to the directory it was installed in.

In any case, if you would like to solve these problems, please post
the exact errors you got.

german tutorial... that's awesome! if you are willing to be a
translator, we can start generating german-specific documentation for
openrave ;0)

rosen,

2010/11/17 Thomas Ihme <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>
>> Thomas: Although you look like an expert in openrave windows
>> compilation, why doesn't openrave compile on two of your machines?
>
> It did compile well, but I was not able to run the hanoi example. The massage
> was "PYTHONPATH not set", but it actually was set. I had no time yet to figure
> out the source of the problem. I used copy/paste, so I exclude a typing problem.
> I've made a detailed howto for the lab installation. On request, I would post
> it (needs to be translated).
>
> Thomas
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beautiful is writing same markup. Internet Explorer 9 supports
standards for HTML5, CSS3, SVG 1.1,  ECMAScript5, and DOM L2 & L3.
Spend less time writing and  rewriting code and more time creating great
experiences on the web. Be a part of the beta today
http://p.sf.net/sfu/msIE9-sfdev2dev
_______________________________________________
Openrave-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/openrave-users