c++ version of python examples

Moslem Kazemi
Hi Rosen,

I wonder if the c++ version of the python examples are also available, in particular I would to see the testcamerasensor.py example in c++ .... I have a hard time figure out which steps I need to follow to attach the sensor and load the sensor viewer and capture its data in c++!

Thanks,
--Moslem.

--
Moslem Kazemi, Ph.D. candidate
Robotics: Motion Planning, Hardware, and Control

Re: c++ version of python examples

hi moslem,
excellent question.
There is no c++ versions of the python examples, including the camera
viewer. openravepy is not an alternative to c++, it is there because
it can be very difficult to maintain the c++ equivalent, especially
when we are talking about cross platform compatibility.

That being said, algorithms that are solid and rarely change should be
written in c++ for max performance. If you think this is the case for
some of the python examples, then we can discuss porting it to c++ for
speed.

rosen,

2010/6/7 Moslem Kazemi <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Rosen,
> I wonder if the c++ version of the python examples are also available, in
> particular I would to see the testcamerasensor.py example in c++ .... I have
> a hard time figure out which steps I need to follow to attach the sensor and
> load the sensor viewer and capture its data in c++!
> Thanks,
> --Moslem.
> --
> Moslem Kazemi, Ph.D. candidate
> Robotics: Motion Planning, Hardware, and Control
> Smart Systems: Design and Integration
> Simon Fraser University
> http://sites.google.com/site/moslemk/

Re: c++ version of python examples

Moslem Kazemi
Thanks, Rosen! I think I got your point ... However, still it would be greatly helpful to have some more c++ examples for those who are developing in c++ and want to integrate/communicate with openrave through its c++ interface .... For example, I have been developing planners/controllers in c++ so far and now I would like to be able to load an openrave viewer from within my c++ code and then attach a sensor and load a sensor viewer and perform trajectory visualization in openrave, and so on ..... The examples in c++ would be of help as HowTo's ... or maybe it is clear enough and I just need to dig in more? I would like your advice?

Thanks,
--Moslem.

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Rosen Diankov <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi moslem,
excellent question.
There is no c++ versions of the python examples, including the camera
viewer. openravepy is not an alternative to c++, it is there because
it can be very difficult to maintain the c++ equivalent, especially
when we are talking about cross platform compatibility.

That being said, algorithms that are solid and rarely change should be
written in c++ for max performance. If you think this is the case for
some of the python examples, then we can discuss porting it to c++ for
speed.

rosen,

2010/6/7 Moslem Kazemi <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Rosen,
> I wonder if the c++ version of the python examples are also available, in
> particular I would to see the testcamerasensor.py example in c++ .... I have
> a hard time figure out which steps I need to follow to attach the sensor and
> load the sensor viewer and capture its data in c++!
> Thanks,
> --Moslem.
> --
> Moslem Kazemi, Ph.D. candidate
> Robotics: Motion Planning, Hardware, and Control
> Smart Systems: Design and Integration
> Simon Fraser University
> http://sites.google.com/site/moslemk/

Moslem Kazemi, Ph.D. candidate
Robotics: Motion Planning, Hardware, and Control
Smart Systems: Design and Integration
Simon Fraser University
http://sites.google.com/site/moslemk/

Re: c++ version of python examples

Hi Moslem,

I agree with you that we need more c++ examples. If you can make a
list of some of the tutorials you'd like to see in C++, then we can
spend some time and organize them. The current set of 'examples' are
actually big demos that can take newcomers sometime to pick apart.

For loading a viewer in c++, take a look at the
cppexamples/orloadviewer.cpp file
The camera viewer is more tricky since it requires instantiating a
GUI, you are welcome to try and do something with Qt4.
Trajectory visualization is just a matter of making the correct
plot3/drawlinelist environment calls.

We usually write planners and controllers in c++, and use python for
the high level scripting and demo flow and extra GUI.

rosen,

2010/6/7 Moslem Kazemi <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks, Rosen! I think I got your point ... However, still it would be
> greatly helpful to have some more c++ examples for those who are developing
> in c++ and want to integrate/communicate with openrave through its c++
> interface .... For example, I have been developing planners/controllers in
> c++ so far and now I would like to be able to load an openrave viewer from
> within my c++ code and then attach a sensor and load a sensor viewer and
> perform trajectory visualization in openrave, and so on ..... The examples
> in c++ would be of help as HowTo's ... or maybe it is clear enough and I
> just need to dig in more? I would like your advice?
> Thanks,
> --Moslem.
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Rosen Diankov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> hi moslem,
>> excellent question.
>> There is no c++ versions of the python examples, including the camera
>> viewer. openravepy is not an alternative to c++, it is there because
>> it can be very difficult to maintain the c++ equivalent, especially
>> when we are talking about cross platform compatibility.
>>
>> That being said, algorithms that are solid and rarely change should be
>> written in c++ for max performance. If you think this is the case for
>> some of the python examples, then we can discuss porting it to c++ for
>> speed.
>>
>> rosen,
>>
>> 2010/6/7 Moslem Kazemi <[hidden email]>:
>> > Hi Rosen,
>> > I wonder if the c++ version of the python examples are also available,
>> > in
>> > particular I would to see the testcamerasensor.py example in c++ .... I
>> > have
>> > a hard time figure out which steps I need to follow to attach the sensor
>> > and
>> > load the sensor viewer and capture its data in c++!
>> > Thanks,
>> > --Moslem.
>> > --
>> > Moslem Kazemi, Ph.D. candidate
>> > Robotics: Motion Planning, Hardware, and Control
>> > Smart Systems: Design and Integration
>> > Simon Fraser University
>> > http://sites.google.com/site/moslemk/

> Moslem Kazemi, Ph.D. candidate
> Robotics: Motion Planning, Hardware, and Control
> Smart Systems: Design and Integration
> Simon Fraser University
> http://sites.google.com/site/moslemk/

Re: c++ version of python examples

Moslem Kazemi
Hi rosen,

Thanks! I was interested to see the testcamerasensor.py in c++, but now I see that it is too much trouble and it is much easier through python scripting .... So, for now I continue scripting in python to perform visualization (actually i have done most of it already and will send you some snapshots .... now I feel the strength of the or python interface)!

Thanks again,
--Moslem.