compilation problem

richard
Hi,

every time, when starting the openrave installation with make, after
~92% of the process, i get the message

.../openrave/openrave/python/bindings/openravepy_int.cpp:1385: Warning:
»virtual const std::string&
OpenRAVE::RobotBase::Manipulator::GetIKSolverName() const« is deprecated
(declared at .../openrave/openrave/rave/robot.h:61)

then, like ending in an endless-loop, the computer ist getting slower,
after a minute, nothing goes anymore - only restarting.

I guess it's a problem with my system, but could it also be an openrave
problem?

Best regards

Richard

--
Richard Cubek, Dipl.-Ing.(FH)
University of Applied Sciences Ravensburg-Weingarten

Re: compilation problem

hi richard,

Just wait for it to complete. That file uses many templates, and can
take several minutes to compile on some computers.

rosen,

2010/9/24 Richard Cubek <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> every time, when starting the openrave installation with make, after
> ~92% of the process, i get the message
>
> .../openrave/openrave/python/bindings/openravepy_int.cpp:1385: Warning:
> »virtual const std::string&
> OpenRAVE::RobotBase::Manipulator::GetIKSolverName() const« is deprecated
> (declared at .../openrave/openrave/rave/robot.h:61)
>
> then, like ending in an endless-loop, the computer ist getting slower,
> after a minute, nothing goes anymore - only restarting.
>
> I guess it's a problem with my system, but could it also be an openrave
> problem?
>

> Best regards
>
> Richard
>
> --
> Richard Cubek, Dipl.-Ing.(FH)
> University of Applied Sciences Ravensburg-Weingarten
> Intelligent Mobile Robotics Laboratory
> Phone: (0049) (0)751 501 9838
> Mobile: (0049) (0)163 88 39 529

Re: compilation problem

richard
Thank you for your answers.

> hi richard,
>
> Just wait for it to complete. That file uses many templates, and can
> take several minutes to compile on some computers.
>
> rosen,

I waited for over an hour, but the result is some kind of crash (can't
do anything anymore).

> Richard,
>
> How many threads are you using for compiling? Also, if you monitor the
> memory usage do you see a significant increase at that point, or
> perhaps enough of an increase to cause your computer to start using
> swap? I have had some similar experiences when compiling openrave (and
> other large packages) with too many threads and not enough memory.
>
> It might be that the code compiled at that point requires a lot of
> memory allocation by the compiler.  If you see memory spikes and are
> using more than one thread, try reducing the threads used.
>
> Peter

Ok, memory shortage makes sense (I have 1GB on a ubuntu system). Well, I
don't know, where to see how many threads I use for compilation (and how
to reduce them). But since it seems to be an issue with the large amount
of templates used, this here seems beeing interesting (from
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.5/changes.html, under "C++"):

"Compilation time for code that uses templates should now scale linearly
with the number of instantiations rather than quadratically, as template
instantiations are now looked up using hash tables."

If this "compilation time" problem is also affecting memory usage, this
could be my problem. Maybe I should compile it with gcc 4.5

--
Richard Cubek, Dipl.-Ing.(FH)
University of Applied Sciences Ravensburg-Weingarten
Intelligent Mobile Robotics Laboratory
Phone: (0049) (0)751 501 9838
Mobile: (0049) (0)163 88 39 529

Re: compilation problem

richard

> Richard,
>
> How many threads are you using for compiling? Also, if you monitor the
> memory usage do you see a significant increase at that point, or
> perhaps enough of an increase to cause your computer to start using
> swap? I have had some similar experiences when compiling openrave (and
> other large packages) with too many threads and not enough memory.
>
> It might be that the code compiled at that point requires a lot of
> memory allocation by the compiler.  If you see memory spikes and are
> using more than one thread, try reducing the threads used.
>
> Peter

Ok, I compiled it now with gcc/g++ 4.5, but it was the same result.
Monitoring via top, i could see, that sometimes, the memory usage
reached 50%, but not more. After that, huge memory space was always
being freed. A the crucial point, the usage began to grow fast, then
from 70%-77% on it was growing slowly, there where always about 20MB +/-
free (but no swapping), at 77% the processor cooler decreased his speed,
top freezed, nothing goes anymore...!? Top never showed a usage of swap
memory (always 0%). Nothing changed after 15 minutes...restart. Any idea?

--
Richard Cubek, Dipl.-Ing.(FH)
University of Applied Sciences Ravensburg-Weingarten
Intelligent Mobile Robotics Laboratory
Phone: (0049) (0)751 501 9838
Mobile: (0049) (0)163 88 39 529

Re: compilation problem

richard

> Ok, I compiled it now with gcc/g++ 4.5, but it was the same result.
> Monitoring via top, i could see, that sometimes, the memory usage
> reached 50%, but not more. After that, huge memory space was always
> being freed. A the crucial point, the usage began to grow fast, then
> from 70%-77% on it was growing slowly, there where always about 20MB
> +/- free (but no swapping), at 77% the processor cooler decreased his
> speed, top freezed, nothing goes anymore...!? Top never showed a usage
> of swap memory (always 0%). Nothing changed after 15
> minutes...restart. Any idea?
I found some RAM somewhere, have 2GB Memory now, compiled successfully.

Thank you both for the decisive hint.

best regards

Richard

--
Richard Cubek, Dipl.-Ing.(FH)
University of Applied Sciences Ravensburg-Weingarten
Intelligent Mobile Robotics Laboratory
Phone: (0049) (0)751 501 9838
Mobile: (0049) (0)163 88 39 529

Re: compilation problem

hi richard,

thanks for the report, it might be possible to split the file so that
a 1Gb machine can compile it ;0)
however, the linear memory stuff in gcc 4.5 sounds very promising

rosen,