installing openrave on Centos 6.5

buyus
Hi All,

After a few days trying to build and install OpenRave (trunk) on Centos 6.5, I have managed to do it by removing the default boost packages (1.41) and install version 1.55 from source, available here: http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_55_0.html.

If someone can add the information on (http://openrave.org/docs/latest_stable/coreapihtml/installation_linux.html), I am sure it will save time for the (tiny) centos openrave user community. I suppose that the problem is related to boost version, but not sure, as I had also some issues realted to
CMake variable values.

The configuration tested is: OpenRave trunk + All deps from Fedora Core Users at web page (except boost) + remove boost if any + Build and install boost from source.
If you want to investigate further, count on me, but I suppose it is not necessary, as I am probably the only :-) using OR+Centos.

Cheers.

--
Jorge Muñoz

Re: installing openrave on Centos 6.5

dear Jorge,

thanks for the feedback!
last time i checked, openrave should be able to compile with boost 1.41 since that's the default boost version for ubuntu 10.04.
if you care about pursuing this matter, please send the compilation log when it errored, so we can get to the bottom of this.

sincerely,

[...]

i think cmake is looking for the following shared objects:

libboost_thread.so
libboost_date_time.so

it isn't finding them on your system for some reason...

error 1:

Cmake:

Boost  found.
Found Boost components:
   regex;filesystem;system;python;thread;iostreams;date_time
found boost version: 1.41.0
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:348 (message):
  boost thread and date_time libraries are necessary

At the code:
if( NOT Boost_THREAD_LIBRARY OR NOT Boost_DATE_TIME_LIBRARY )
  message(FATAL_ERROR "boost thread and date_time libraries are necessary")
endif()

So, no Boost_THREAD_LIBRARY and no  Boost_DATE_TIME_LIBRARY variables are set.

Are they supposed to be set under /usr/lib/boost/BoostConfig.cmake or any of their friends?
Anyway, you can comment this line, knowing that boost is already installed, but it will give linking problems after.

So any ideas? do you want to see the link error? They are unresolved deps, but cant remember what functions.

Jorge Muñoz
[hidden email]