Quantcast

opening doors with caging grasp

baxelrod

I would like to use some of the planners in OpenRAVE to help with my door opening task.  I found the Task Caging module and read the paper.  It looks very close to what I need, but I have some questions.

I am not sure how to load or use the module.  Some example code would be nice.

The paper only discusses a non-moving robot base.  My arm is so constrained, I need to move the base with the arm.  (I essentially have a 3 link planar arm (in the vertical plane) mounted on a rotating turret).  Additionally, the base is non-holonomic.  This is a Packbot with an EOD arm.  Can the Task Caging module be extended to handle this?

My end-effector does cage door levers, but rigidly holds doorknobs.  But in both these cases, my end-effector has a non-actuated compliant U-joint wrist.  How can this DOF be added (perhaps manually) to the grasp set?

FYI I am using OpenRAVE compiled from source (0.9.0) on Ubuntu 12.04.

Thanks,

Ben

Ben Axelrod

Sr. Robotics Software Engineer

iRobot Corporation

8 Crosby Drive, M/S 8-1

Bedford, MA 01730

(781) 430-3315

Re: opening doors with caging grasp

Dear Ben,

I think the task caging code is not as documented as it should be, and therefore a little hard to use. Definitely, the caging mindset would fit your problem well because the packbot doesn't have many joints. There's another mindset of thinking here. If you can setup a configuration space that include both the robot joints and door joint, and have an initial configuration where the robot gripper clamps the door handle, then anything inside the free-space would be caging the handle. Luckily we've added an example to show how to merge configurations here, so it should be straightforward:

http://www.openrave.org/docs/latest_stable/coreapihtml/orplanning_door_8cpp-example.html

If you can get Translation3D (or TranslationDirection5D)  IK working, then you should be able to compute the initial configuration easy.

best,