openrave, ode and mass information

Bertold Bongardt
Hello Openrave Users,

when trying to load a robot that is defined in a XML file I get the
following error:

> ODE Message 2: mass must be > 0 in dMassCheck() File mass.cpp Line 49
>
> ODE INTERNAL ERROR 1: assertion "dMassCheck(mass)" failed in
> dBodySetMass() [ode.cpp]
> Aborted

However -- although some numbers are small (e.g. 0.00123) -- no number
is == 0, or < 0.

I searched in the Internet for the error message and found the following
sites:

1.
http://groups.google.com/group/ode-users/browse_thread/thread/de67fb30afb51c61
2.
http://osdir.com/ml/science.robotics.playerstage.gazebo/2007-08/msg00001.html

I followed the description: un-installed the binary ODE; installed it
again, manually with

> ./configure --enable-shared --enable-release --enable-double-precision

and let openrave start. However, the error message still appeared.

If I delete all mass information from the XML file or if I make the ODE
shared object unavailable for openrave then the robot is loaded. The PC
runs Ubuntu.

---

Later, I saw here

> http://openrave.programmingvision.com/ordocs/en/html/installation.html

that openrave itself has a SINGLE | DOUBLE PRECISION option. I re-ran
cmake via

> cmake -DOPT_DOUBLE_PRECISION=ON build

and got the following output

> -- Using cmake version 2.8
> -- installing to /usr/local
> -- found boost version: 104000
> -- Using Coin3D
> -- Using double precision
> -- WARNING: you are using the obsolete 'PKGCONFIG' macro use FindPkgConfig
> -- WARNING: you are using the obsolete 'PKGCONFIG' macro use FindPkgConfig
> -- libxml2 found
> -- no COLLADA support found
> -- compiling local qhull library
> -- compiling local ann library
> -- compiling local convexdecomposition library
> -- python executable is /usr/bin/python2.6
> -- MATLAB installation not found
> -- Octave installation not found
> -- python and boost-python found
> -- failed to find boost regex, please install it
> -- Could not find Bullet Physics/Collision engine. Please install ver 2.74+ from http://www.bulletphysics.com
> -- ODE found, building oderave plugin, precision=SINGLE
> -- Detected SoQt/Coin3D GUI, making plugin
> -- WARNING: FFMPEG not found, support disabled
> -- failed to find boost regex, please install it
> -- Configuring done
> -- Generating done
> -- Build files have been written to: /home/***/openrave/build

There is the following line contained:

> -- ODE found, building oderave plugin, precision=SINGLE

Now, there are some questions open:

  1. is there a -- if yes, what is the -- build flag for openrave to use
ODE in double precision? If no, I probably failed to rebuild ODE with
double-precision, or some "other / old" ODE shared library on the system
was found and used by openrave.

  2. where can I find a description / list of all build options for
openave. I took a look into CMakeList.txt but could not find anything
about ODE there.

  3. How can I solve the actual problem? (Openrave and ODE should accept
the masses ...)

Could anybody help?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Bertold

Re: openrave, ode and mass information

hi Bertold,

I think you have a problem with an old ODE library installed. Try running

which ode-config

and verify that the path is the same as the one you installed ode to.
If it isn't, remove the old version.

After fixing the ode paths, please remove
openrave/build/CMakeCache.txt and recompile again.

If you still cannot figure it out, please send a stack trace of the
problem by running openrave in gdb.

rosen,