openrave_planning stack for ROS moved

For those people using ROS with openrave, the openrave_planning has
moved to the jsk-ros-pkg repository. You can now find it at:

https://jsk-ros-pkg.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/jsk-ros-pkg/trunk/openrave_planning

This move is in response to the recent organizations of the
repositories from Willow Garage, and the fact that the ros/openrave
bindings will start supporting a lot of JSK Lab's system
infrastructure, and vice versa. The latter is very exciting and will
be fun to see what the future holds.

with env: taking lots of time?

Nick Hillier
Hi all,

I have attached a simple test script to illustrate my problem.

I want the simulation to run a loop at a set rate (for a controller). I
have written a short and simple rate-limiting sleep class to ensure that
this rate is met. It works well when I run the StartSimulation() with
the realtime=True flag set, but I want this to run as fast as possible
as part of a testing suite (i.e. hundreds of times faster than real
time).

Unfortunately, I find that the "with env" statement seems to sometimes
be taking up a lot of simulation time before locking the environment.
The sample attached explains it better. I expect the time at "this_time"
and at "3" to be equal, as not much happens in between. Maybe this is a
python limitation or my lack of programming skills, but it would be nice
to know what is causing this and perhaps create a work-around.

Expected output:

$ python test_sim_timing2.py
NOT RUNNING IN REAL TIME
1 0.0
2 0.0
sleeping for: 0.05 from 0.0 until: 0.05
this_time: 0.05
3 0.05
TIME: 0.05 Rate: 20.0
4 0.05

Actual output:

$ python test_sim_timing2.py
NOT RUNNING IN REAL TIME
1 0.0
2 0.0
sleeping for: 0.05 from 0.0 until: 0.05
this_time: 0.05
3 0.065
TIME: 0.065 Rate: 15.3846153846
4 0.065

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Nick

test_sim_timing2.py (1K) Download Attachment

Re: with env: taking lots of time?

hi nick,

can you try r1711? there might have been a bug with openrave sleeping
unnecessarily for non-realtime simulations

rosen,