Quantcast

or_rviz - OpenRAVE viewer plugin built on RViz

or_rviz - OpenRAVE viewer plugin built on RViz

Michael Koval
The Personal Robotics Lab at CMU is excited to announce or_rviz, an
OpenRAVE viewer plugin that uses interactive_markers to visualize an
OpenRAVE environment in RViz. This short video highlights several key
features of the plugin:

http://youtu.be/DUA3jc7CAoI

In summary, or_rviz supports:

- Publishing the OpenRAVE environment as an InteractiveMarkers topic
to an out-of-process RViz viewer.
- Rendering the OpenRAVE environment in-process using a viewer based on librviz.
- Capable of rendering COLLADA models complete with texture and
lighting properties.
- Support for graphically interacting with the environment, including
controls for: pose, joint values, and inverse kinematics.

The source code is BSD licensed and available on Github:

https://github.com/personalrobotics/or_rviz

See the README for installation and usage instructions. Please do not
hesitate to open an issue or pull request on Github if you have any
issues.

-Michael and Matt

Re: or_rviz - OpenRAVE viewer plugin built on RViz

Bahram Maleki-Fard
Very nice, I hope I can test it soon.

Is it possible to display multiple environments (or choose between them)
with the out-of-process viewer?

Cheers,
Bahram

2015/02/26 20:21 , Michael Koval <[hidden email]>:

> The Personal Robotics Lab at CMU is excited to announce or_rviz, an
> OpenRAVE viewer plugin that uses interactive_markers to visualize an
> OpenRAVE environment in RViz. This short video highlights several key
> features of the plugin:
>
> http://youtu.be/DUA3jc7CAoI
>
> In summary, or_rviz supports:
>
> - Publishing the OpenRAVE environment as an InteractiveMarkers topic
> to an out-of-process RViz viewer.
> - Rendering the OpenRAVE environment in-process using a viewer based on librviz.
> - Capable of rendering COLLADA models complete with texture and
> lighting properties.
> - Support for graphically interacting with the environment, including
> controls for: pose, joint values, and inverse kinematics.
>
> The source code is BSD licensed and available on Github:
>
> https://github.com/personalrobotics/or_rviz
>
> See the README for installation and usage instructions. Please do not
> hesitate to open an issue or pull request on Github if you have any
> issues.
>
> -Michael and Matt

Re: or_rviz - OpenRAVE viewer plugin built on RViz

Michael Koval
This is possible, but it is a bit awkward. You can attach a separate
viewer instance to each environment you want to visualize and specify
a unique output topic name for each, e.g. "/openrave/environment1" for
Environment(1) and /openrave/environment2" for Environment(2). You can
change which environment you're visualizing by simply switching which
InteractiveMarker topic you are subscribing to in RViz.

This is quite a bit simpler if you are using the in-process viewer.
There is a dropdown menu in the EnvironmentDisplay component that
allows you to select which environment is being visualized.

-Michael

(Note: There was a bug in OpenRAVE at one point that prevents you from
am not sure if this is fixed yet.)

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Bahram Maleki-Fard
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very nice, I hope I can test it soon.
>
> Is it possible to display multiple environments (or choose between them)
> with the out-of-process viewer?
>
> Cheers,
> Bahram
>
> 2015/02/26 20:21 , Michael Koval <[hidden email]>:
>> The Personal Robotics Lab at CMU is excited to announce or_rviz, an
>> OpenRAVE viewer plugin that uses interactive_markers to visualize an
>> OpenRAVE environment in RViz. This short video highlights several key
>> features of the plugin:
>>
>> http://youtu.be/DUA3jc7CAoI
>>
>> In summary, or_rviz supports:
>>
>> - Publishing the OpenRAVE environment as an InteractiveMarkers topic
>> to an out-of-process RViz viewer.
>> - Rendering the OpenRAVE environment in-process using a viewer based on librviz.
>> - Capable of rendering COLLADA models complete with texture and
>> lighting properties.
>> - Support for graphically interacting with the environment, including
>> controls for: pose, joint values, and inverse kinematics.
>>
>> The source code is BSD licensed and available on Github:
>>
>> https://github.com/personalrobotics/or_rviz
>>
>> See the README for installation and usage instructions. Please do not
>> hesitate to open an issue or pull request on Github if you have any
>> issues.
>>
>> -Michael and Matt

Re: or_rviz - OpenRAVE viewer plugin built on RViz

Bahram Maleki-Fard
Thanks, I'll have a look at this when I have some time to spare.
Separate viewer instances sounds simple enough.

We have OpenRAVE running on the robot, and rviz on another machine, so
in-process viewer is not an option right now.

Cheers,
Bahram

2015/02/26 22:19 , Michael Koval <[hidden email]>:

> This is possible, but it is a bit awkward. You can attach a separate
> viewer instance to each environment you want to visualize and specify
> a unique output topic name for each, e.g. "/openrave/environment1" for
> Environment(1) and /openrave/environment2" for Environment(2). You can
> change which environment you're visualizing by simply switching which
> InteractiveMarker topic you are subscribing to in RViz.
>
> This is quite a bit simpler if you are using the in-process viewer.
> There is a dropdown menu in the EnvironmentDisplay component that
> allows you to select which environment is being visualized.
>
> -Michael
>
> (Note: There was a bug in OpenRAVE at one point that prevents you from
> am not sure if this is fixed yet.)
>
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Bahram Maleki-Fard
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Very nice, I hope I can test it soon.
>>
>> Is it possible to display multiple environments (or choose between them)
>> with the out-of-process viewer?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bahram
>>
>> 2015/02/26 20:21 , Michael Koval <[hidden email]>:
>>> The Personal Robotics Lab at CMU is excited to announce or_rviz, an
>>> OpenRAVE viewer plugin that uses interactive_markers to visualize an
>>> OpenRAVE environment in RViz. This short video highlights several key
>>> features of the plugin:
>>>
>>> http://youtu.be/DUA3jc7CAoI
>>>
>>> In summary, or_rviz supports:
>>>
>>> - Publishing the OpenRAVE environment as an InteractiveMarkers topic
>>> to an out-of-process RViz viewer.
>>> - Rendering the OpenRAVE environment in-process using a viewer based on librviz.
>>> - Capable of rendering COLLADA models complete with texture and
>>> lighting properties.
>>> - Support for graphically interacting with the environment, including
>>> controls for: pose, joint values, and inverse kinematics.
>>>
>>> The source code is BSD licensed and available on Github:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/personalrobotics/or_rviz
>>>
>>> See the README for installation and usage instructions. Please do not
>>> hesitate to open an issue or pull request on Github if you have any
>>> issues.
>>>
>>> -Michael and Matt

Re: or_rviz - OpenRAVE viewer plugin built on RViz

fred91
I was able to successfully set the rviz viewer with my openrave markers. I see that there is a checkbox which you can tick to show the axes of all these markers loaded into rviz. Is it possible to show the axes of only one marker, say the manipulator, not all the markers?

Cheers,
Fred

Re: or_rviz - OpenRAVE viewer plugin built on RViz

Michael Koval
Unfortunately, that is not currently possible. That checkbox is provided by the InteractiveMarker plugin in RViz. There is no way for us to customize those controls through the ROS topic interface.

It should be straightforward to add a toggle "show axis" option to the KinBody, Link and Manipulator context menus. I don't have time to implement this myself in the near future, but you could give it a shot. The logic is similar (but much simpler than) the logic used to toggle KinBody pose controls.

As a last resort, you can always use openravepy.misc.DrawAxes. :-)

-Michael

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:40 AM, fred91 <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was able to successfully set the rviz viewer with my openrave markers. I
see that there is a checkbox which you can tick to show the axes of all
these markers loaded into rviz. Is it possible to show the axes of only one
marker, say the manipulator, not all the markers?

Cheers,
Fred

Re: or_rviz - OpenRAVE viewer plugin built on RViz

fred91
The only problem is that openravepy.misc.DrawAxes does not move the drawn axis when the robot moves, i.e. when passing a trajectory to the built in controller and waiting. Or is there a way to do that?

-Fred