qtcoin viewer error "offscreen renderer failed"

qtcoin viewer error "offscreen renderer failed"

Alex
I am trying to take pictures of a simulation but I receive errors when running in Ubuntu 12.04.  I originally setup OpenRAVE in Windows and was able to successfully run the code in Windows and capture images.  Whenever I copied the code and ran it on a computer with Ubuntu, the code ran fine until it got to the point where it saves the image.

My code is:

env.SetViewer('qtcoin')
I = env.GetViewer().GetCameraImage(640, 480, T, [640, 640, 320, 240]) #T is a camera transform matrix

 At which point it returned the error:

[qtcoinviewer.cpp:3157] offscreen renderer failed (check video driver), disabling
openrave (Failed): failed to get camera image

When running the visibilityplanning example, I received the same "offscreen renderer failed" error along with another "cannot render offscreen" which constantly repeats.

I found another post here  which mentions that it might be a driver issue.  I attempted to find updated drivers, but any drivers I installed only made the problem worse, resulting in video issues displaying the OpenRAVE environment.

using lshw, my video card is:
RV516 [Radeon X1300/X1550 series]

using lspci:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV516 [Radeon X1300/X1550 Series]
01:00.1 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV516 [Radeon X1300 Pro] (Secondary)

Is there another viewer other than qtcoin that I can use or maybe a different command that I can use to capture images?  Is the only solution to find correct drivers for the video card?

Alex

Re: qtcoin viewer error "offscreen renderer failed"

lixdhitrobot
Hi, have you resolve you problem?

I have the same problem, thank you very much!

Xingdong

RE: qtcoin viewer error "offscreen renderer failed"

Alex
I think that the issue was with the graphics card.  Linux has only basic support for graphics cards and in order to do special video operations in OpenRAVE, you need up to date drivers that can perform the functions.  Because Nvidia has good driver support for Linux., I tried using a newer machine which has an Nvidia graphics card.  With the newer card and drivers, I was able to get the video and image functions working.  After I got the code working, I tried running it on the older machine, and I saw the same error again.  I have also been told by others that an Nvidia graphics card is the only way to go if you are working in Linux because of these types of issues.

Alex

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 03:27:44 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: qtcoin viewer error "offscreen renderer failed"

Hi, have you resolve you problem?

I have the same problem, thank you very much!

Xingdong

http://openrave-users-list.185357.n3.nabble.com/qtcoin-viewer-error-offscreen-renderer-failed-tp4025805p4026799.html
To unsubscribe from qtcoin viewer error "offscreen renderer failed", click here.
NAML