trouble compiling openravepy

Dmitry Berenson
Hello, I recently installed openrave r1465 (through ROS) on a new
install of Ubuntu 9.10. Everything seems to be working except the
python interface. I looked in share/openrave/openravepy and there is
no .so file (like there was before), here is what is in the directory:

examples   __init__.py   interfaces    openravepy_ext.py
ikfast.py  __init__.pyc  metaclass.py

When I try to run one of the python examples (hanoi.py), I get

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "hanoi.py", line 18, in <module>
    from openravepy import *
  File "/home/dmitry/ros/ros-pkg/wg-ros-pkg-trunk/stacks/openrave_planning/openrave/share/openrave/openravepy/__init__.py",
line 1, in <module>
    from openravepy_int import *
ImportError: No module named openravepy_int

Do you have any idea as to why the .so is not compiling?

--

Dmitry

Re: trouble compiling openravepy

hi dmitry,

can you send your error log (build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log) and
output of the cmake process? most likely you do not have: python-dev,
numpy, or boost python installed

make sure you delete the CMakeCache.txt file

rosen,

2010/5/21 Dmitry Berenson <[hidden email]>:

> Hello, I recently installed openrave r1465 (through ROS) on a new
> install of Ubuntu 9.10. Everything seems to be working except the
> python interface. I looked in share/openrave/openravepy and there is
> no .so file (like there was before), here is what is in the directory:
>
> examples   __init__.py   interfaces    openravepy_ext.py
> ikfast.py  __init__.pyc  metaclass.py
>
> When I try to run one of the python examples (hanoi.py), I get
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "hanoi.py", line 18, in <module>
>    from openravepy import *
>  File "/home/dmitry/ros/ros-pkg/wg-ros-pkg-trunk/stacks/openrave_planning/openrave/share/openrave/openravepy/__init__.py",
> line 1, in <module>
>    from openravepy_int import *
> ImportError: No module named openravepy_int
>
> Do you have any idea as to why the .so is not compiling?
>
> --
>
> Dmitry

Re: trouble compiling openravepy

Dmitry Berenson
Hi Rosen, sorry for my delayed reply. When I first installed openrave,
I checked that all packages were satisfied through "rosdep" which
confirmed everything was installed. Just to be sure I went to the
openrave site and did apt-get for all the packages you have listed
there. This caused some packages installed by ros to be removed (boost
and coin). When I tried to do rosmake openrave after this, it told me
to reinstall the packages that had been removed. I reinstalled the
packages, compiled openrave, and the python hanoi example worked!

So, what I'm guessing is that there is some discrepancy between the
packages listed on the openrave site and the packages required when
installing openrave through ros. I'm guessing there is a package
listed on the site that is not considered by the ros install and this
package is necessary to make the python stuff compile.

Dmitry

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Rosen Diankov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi dmitry,
>
> can you send your error log (build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log) and
> output of the cmake process? most likely you do not have: python-dev,
> numpy, or boost python installed
>
> make sure you delete the CMakeCache.txt file
>
> rosen,
>
> 2010/5/21 Dmitry Berenson <[hidden email]>:
>> Hello, I recently installed openrave r1465 (through ROS) on a new
>> install of Ubuntu 9.10. Everything seems to be working except the
>> python interface. I looked in share/openrave/openravepy and there is
>> no .so file (like there was before), here is what is in the directory:
>>
>> examples   __init__.py   interfaces    openravepy_ext.py
>> ikfast.py  __init__.pyc  metaclass.py
>>
>> When I try to run one of the python examples (hanoi.py), I get
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  File "hanoi.py", line 18, in <module>
>>    from openravepy import *
>>  File "/home/dmitry/ros/ros-pkg/wg-ros-pkg-trunk/stacks/openrave_planning/openrave/share/openrave/openravepy/__init__.py",
>> line 1, in <module>
>>    from openravepy_int import *
>> ImportError: No module named openravepy_int
>>
>> Do you have any idea as to why the .so is not compiling?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Dmitry

Dmitry